How would this equation be simplified?

• Thread starter Bluskyz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation that describes how a line reflects off a parabola. The equation is quite complex, but by using trigonometric identities, it can be simplified to (-1500*y)/([y^2]-2500). This was discovered by using Wolfram Alpha to visualize the equation and then manipulating it using the identities mentioned.
Bluskyz

Homework Statement

To satisfy my curiosity, I tried to come up with an equation that describes how a line reflects off a parabola. The equation I came up with is [(tan[2*arctan(-y/50)]*[1000-(y^2)])/100]+y
This equation works wonderfully but its just large and ugly.
The wolfram alpha site for this equation is:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=[(tan[2*arctan(-y/50)]*[1000-(y^2)])/100]+y
It just helps visualize the equation. From there, I noticed that wolfram simplifies this down further to (-1500*y)/([y^2]-2500)
How would I go about simplifying the original equation to the nice one wolfram gives?

Homework Equations

[(tan[2*arctan(-y/50)]*[1000-(y^2)])/100]+y

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to look at many trig identities involving the tangent functions but none of them seem to help in this case. I have tried moving things around but everything I try just seems to stop with those ugly tangents still left.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use the identity:

tan(2x) = 2tanx/ (1- (tanx)^2 )

and tan(arctan x) = x

I tried that but on the bottom, you would still be left with 1-(tanx)^2

but remember x = arctan(-y/50).
So, 1-(tanx)^2 = 1 - (tan[arctan(-y/50)]^2 = 1 - y^2/2500

Yes! I see it now, thanks for your help :)

Related to How would this equation be simplified?

1. How do I know which operations to perform first when simplifying an equation?

When simplifying an equation, the general rule is to perform operations in the following order: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (from left to right). However, always follow any specific rules or instructions given in the problem.

2. Can I use different methods to simplify an equation?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to simplify equations, such as combining like terms, factoring, and using the distributive property. The method used will depend on the specific equation and what is being asked in the problem.

3. How do I handle negative numbers when simplifying an equation?

When simplifying equations with negative numbers, it is important to remember the rules of operations. For example, multiplying or dividing two negative numbers will result in a positive number, while adding or subtracting a negative number will result in a negative number. It may also be helpful to use parentheses to clearly show the order of operations.

4. Can I simplify an equation with variables?

Yes, equations with variables can be simplified by following the same rules of operations as with numerical equations. The goal is to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and simplify the other side as much as possible. When simplifying equations with variables, it may be necessary to use inverse operations, such as adding or subtracting the same number on both sides of the equation.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about the steps to simplify an equation?

If you are unsure about the steps to simplify an equation, it can be helpful to break it down into smaller parts and simplify each part separately. Also, double-checking your work and using a calculator can help ensure that the final solution is correct. If you are still having trouble, consider asking a teacher or tutor for assistance.