How Can Trig Double Angle Formulas Simplify This Function?

In summary: Thanks for the heads up.In summary, the poster was trying to solve a problem that was stated in the OP, but was not completely correct.
TogoPogo

Homework Statement

Hello, I am trying to simplify the inputted function here http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sqrt(2)+sqrt(1-cos((2pi(x-y))/n))

which is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{1-cos[2\pi(x-y)/n]}[/itex]

to the form of 2sin[(x-y)\pi/n]

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

EDIT: nevermind, found the solution... Forgot about double angle formula lolThe part that confused me was how they managed to remove the "2" in the argument of the cosine function, as well as how they removed the square root

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ## z \equiv \pi (x-y) / n ##

From the double-angle identity for cosine, we know that ## \cos{(2z)} = 1 - 2 \sin^{2}{z} ##, so
$$ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{1- \cos{(2z)}} = \sqrt{2} \sqrt{1 - (1 - 2 \sin^{2}{z})} $$
$$ = \sqrt{2} \sqrt{2 \sin^{2}{z}} = 2 \sqrt{\sin^{2}{z}} = 2 | \sin{z} | $$
Note the need for taking the absolute value in the final expression. (The initial expression always has a positive or zero value.)

The last poster hit it on the nail.

I recommend to view and understand the proof of trigonometric identities that can be derived from 2 diagrams. The proof is really neat, as it involves using the distance formula 2 times.

Also, when you get an expression that has a lot going on, maybe try to substitute some values with dummy variables.

MidgetDwarf said:
The last poster hit it on the nail.

I recommend to view and understand the proof of trigonometric identities that can be derived from 2 diagrams. The proof is really neat, as it involves using the distance formula 2 times.

Also, when you get an expression that has a lot going on, maybe try to substitute some values with dummy variables.

What do you mean by 2 diagrams?

Redbelly98 said:
Let ## z \equiv \pi (x-y) / n ##

From the double-angle identity for cosine, we know that ## \cos{(2z)} = 1 - 2 \sin^{2}{z} ##, so
$$ \sqrt{2} \sqrt{1- \cos{(2z)}} = \sqrt{2} \sqrt{1 - (1 - 2 \sin^{2}{z})} $$
$$ = \sqrt{2} \sqrt{2 \sin^{2}{z}} = 2 \sqrt{\sin^{2}{z}} = 2 | \sin{z} | $$
Note the need for taking the absolute value in the final expression. (The initial expression always has a positive or zero value.)
TogoPogo seems to have worked all that out already, nearly five years ago.

Math_QED said:
What do you mean by 2 diagrams?

I will take a picture of the diagrams. Should have it posted by Thursday. It just involves 2 units circles.

haruspex said:
TogoPogo seems to have worked all that out already, nearly five years ago.
Indeed. But, with no replies and no posted solution, this thread had been placed in the "Open Problems" forum. Greg is encouraging people to post solutions to such threads:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Unanswered homework threads provide no value and can actually harm. Nearly 50% of traffic to PF lands on homework threads. If a guest lands on a thread with no replies it looks poorly and the guest is not helped. PF becomes a knowledge base when a thread is older than a few months.
Also, the answer stated in the OP was not completely correct, in missing the absolute value signs.

Redbelly98 said:
Indeed. But, with no replies and no posted solution, this thread had been placed in the "Open Problems" forum. Greg is encouraging people to post solutions to such threads:

Also, the answer stated in the OP was not completely correct, in missing the absolute value signs.
Ok.

Related to How Can Trig Double Angle Formulas Simplify This Function?

Question 1: What does it mean to "simplify" a trig function?

Simplifying a trig function means to express it in a more compact and simplified form without changing its value.

Question 2: Why do we need to simplify trig functions?

Simplifying trig functions can make them easier to work with and can help us solve more complex trigonometric equations.

Question 3: What are the steps for simplifying a trig function?

The steps for simplifying a trig function depend on the specific function, but usually involve using trigonometric identities, factoring, and simplifying fractions.

Question 4: How do I know if a trig function is simplified?

A trig function is considered simplified if it cannot be further reduced or if all of its terms are in their simplest form (e.g. no fractions or negative exponents).

Question 5: Are there any special cases when simplifying trig functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases when simplifying trig functions, such as when dealing with complex numbers or when the function contains multiple angles or variables.