How to simplify this equation?

• Thread starter tahayassen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the equation \frac { x+100 }{ 1+\frac { 100x }{ { 100 }^{ 2 } } } can be simplified to just 100, as shown by factoring the numerator and simplifying.
tahayassen

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac { x+100 }{ 1+\frac { 100x }{ { 100 }^{ 2 } } }[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Wolfram Alpha somehow managed to simplify the equation to just simply 100. Here's my attempt:

[tex]\frac { x+100 }{ 1+\frac { 100x }{ { 100 }^{ 2 } } } \\ =\frac { x+100 }{ 1+\frac { 100x }{ { 100 }^{ 2 } } } *\frac { 100 }{ 100 } \\ =\frac { 100x+{ 100 }^{ 2 } }{ 100+x }[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
tahayassen said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac { x+100 }{ 1+\frac { 100x }{ { 100 }^{ 2 } } }[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Wolfram Alpha somehow managed to simplify the equation to just simply 100. Here's my attempt:

[tex]\frac { x+100 }{ 1+\frac { 100x }{ { 100 }^{ 2 } } } \\ =\frac { x+100 }{ 1+\frac { 100x }{ { 100 }^{ 2 } } } *\frac { 100 }{ 100 } \\ =\frac { 100x+{ 100 }^{ 2 } }{ 100+x }[/tex]

Can you factorize the numerator?? Can you write it as 100+x times some number?

micromass said:
Can you factorize the numerator?? Can you write it as 100+x times some number?

Like this?

[tex]\frac { x(1+\frac { 100 }{ x } ) }{ 1+\frac { x }{ { 100 } } }[/tex]

Edit: Never mind. Got it.

[tex]\frac { x+100 }{ 1+\frac { x }{ { 100 } } } \\ =\frac { x+100 }{ 1+\frac { x }{ { 100 } } } *\frac { 100 }{ 100 } \\ =\frac { 100(x+{ 100 }) }{ 100+x } \\ =100[/tex]

Last edited:

1. How do I simplify an equation?

To simplify an equation, you need to collect like terms and combine them. This involves using the distributive property, combining constants, and combining like variables. You may also need to use inverse operations to isolate a variable.

2. Can I use the order of operations to simplify an equation?

Yes, the order of operations (PEMDAS) can be used to simplify an equation. Start by simplifying within parentheses, then work your way through exponents, multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

3. What is the purpose of simplifying an equation?

The main purpose of simplifying an equation is to make it easier to solve and understand. It allows you to see the relationship between different terms and variables more clearly and helps to eliminate unnecessary steps in solving the equation.

4. Is there a specific method for simplifying equations?

There is no one specific method for simplifying equations, as it depends on the specific equation and its components. However, some common techniques include factoring, combining like terms, using the distributive property, and isolating variables through inverse operations.

5. Can I use a calculator to simplify equations?

While a calculator may be helpful in checking your work, it is not recommended to rely on it solely for simplifying equations. Simplifying equations requires critical thinking and understanding of mathematical concepts, which a calculator cannot provide. It is important to show your work and understand the steps involved in simplifying an equation.