How would time flow for each parallel universe?

In summary: There is no definitive answer to this question, as it depends on the specifics of the hypothetical universes in question. If all the fundamental physical constants, such as the speed of light, the Planck constant, the fine structure constant, etc., are the same in all universes, then one could imagine (I mean 'imagine' because we don't know how to measure that anyway) the time flow indicated by the same type of clocks (say Caesium atomic clocks) running 'concurrently'. If however the physical constants are different then they do not. One second in one universe might be a million years in another.
Brennick908
TL;DR Summary
question using the parralel universe thoery if true, how would time work in other universes.
do parralel timelines have to run concurrently to our time? what I mean by this is basically if there is a version of me or you out there in a parralel universe right now in 1963 for example just living like normal or do all parralel timelines have to be in the same timeframe as us?

Physics news on Phys.org
Brennick908 said:
Summary: question using the parralel universe theory if true, how would time work in other universes.

do parralel timelines have to run concurrently to our time? what I mean by this is basically if there is a version of me or you out there in a parralel universe right now in 1963 for example just living like normal or do all parralel timelines have to be in the same timeframe as us?
I see no reason why it should but in any case it's irrelevant because since they (assuming they exist, which I don't) are not in causal contact with us we could never tell anyway.

I think the question is not clearly formulated, since it is not clear how one could define, even in principle, 'timelines that run concurrently between different parallel universes' (provided they exists in the first place). However, intuitively I might understand what you mean and suggest the following reasoning. If all the fundamental physical constants, such as the speed of light, the Planck constant, the fine structure constant, etc., are the same in all universes, then one can imagine (I mean 'imagine' because we don't know how to measure that anyway) the time flow indicated by the same type of clocks (say Caesium atomic clocks) running 'concurrently'. If however the physical constants are different then they do not. One second in one universe might be a million years in another.

You can even have a situation where a second in one Lorentz frame is a million years in another inertial coordinate system, both of them in our universe. Just accelerate something to almost the speed of light.

From an intelligent observer's viewpoint, it also matters how their own cognition senses the flow of time. You could think of some strange alien lifeform that is almost immobile like a tree or a coral and is so slow that its subjective "day" is a week for us. Like an extreme version of our folivora mammals on Earth.

Brennick908 said:
Summary: question using the parralel universe theory if true, how would time work in other universes.

do parralel timelines have to run concurrently to our time?

What "parallel universe theory" are you talking about? Please give a reference.

1. How do parallel universes affect the flow of time?

The concept of parallel universes suggests that there are multiple versions of reality coexisting simultaneously. In this scenario, time would flow differently in each universe depending on the events and circumstances that occur within it. For example, if one universe experiences a major event that alters the course of time, it would not necessarily affect the flow of time in another parallel universe.

2. Is there a universal time that applies to all parallel universes?

There is no evidence to suggest that there is a universal time that applies to all parallel universes. Each universe operates independently and has its own unique timeline. However, some theories propose the existence of a "multiverse" where all parallel universes are connected by a single overarching timeline.

3. Can time travel between parallel universes occur?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the possibility of time travel between parallel universes. While some theories suggest that it may be possible through the use of advanced technology or through wormholes, it remains a topic of speculation and is not yet feasible with our current understanding of physics.

4. Would time flow differently in a parallel universe compared to our own?

It is possible that time would flow differently in a parallel universe compared to our own. This could be due to a variety of factors such as the laws of physics, the speed of light, or the presence of different types of matter. However, without being able to observe or travel to a parallel universe, it is impossible to know for sure.

5. How does the concept of time in parallel universes relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, suggests that time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This concept also applies to the flow of time in parallel universes. Each universe may have its own unique gravitational and velocity conditions, leading to a different perception of time in each one.