1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would you have done this Coulomb's law problem?

1. Jul 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the figure, particle 1 of charge 1.0 micro Coulombs and particle 2 of charge -3.0 micro Coulombs are held at a separation of L = 10.0 cm. If particle 3, of unknown charge is to be located such that the net electrostatic force on it is 0, what must its x and y coordinates be?

(figure)

1<------L------->2

with 1 at the origin.

2. Relevant equations

Coulomb's law

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I noted that the particle must be to the left of 1 because 2 is of stronger net charge, so it must be closer to 1 and further from 2.

Furthermore, since the sum of the two forces is 0, they must be equal in magnitude and opposite in sign.

[itex]kq_{1}q_{3}r^{-2}_{1}\widehat{r}_{1} = - kq_{2}q_{3}r^{-2}_{2}\widehat{r}_{2}[/itex]

[itex]q_{1}r^{-2}_{1}\widehat{r}_{1} = - q_{2}r^{-2}_{2}\widehat{r}_{2}[/itex]

I was stumped here until I cheated and looked at the y coordinate answer. It is 0. Only knowing that was I able to solve. Can someone tell me why that is the case?

Since I know the y coordinate is 0, the vectors on both is -i, allowing me to cancel them out.

[itex]q_{1}r^{-2}_{1} = - q_{2}r^{-2}_{2}[/itex]

[itex](1x10^{-6})r^{-2}_{1} = (3x10^{-6})r^{-2}_{2}[/itex]

[itex]r^{-2}_{1} = 3r^{-2}_{2}[/itex]

[itex]r^{2}_{2} = 3r^{2}_{1}[/itex]

[itex]r_{2} = \sqrt{3}r_{1}[/itex]

I also know that r2 is 10 greater than r1.

[itex]r_{2} = 10 + r_{1}[/itex]

Substituting that for r2 in the first equation,

r1 = 13.66.

Since I know it's to the left of r1, and r1 is on the origin, the x coordinate must be -13.66.

The answer in the book is -14, so I'm reasonably confident.

However, I want to know:

1.) Is this how you would have done it?
    2.) Why is the y component 0?
    3.) Is the y component known to be 0 through working the problem, or from examining the layout of the particles?

TY

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Can two non-parallel vectors cancel?

4. Jul 22, 2012 #3
    Nope, I see. Thanks.

does the rest look ok?

5. Jul 22, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I didn't check your arithmetic, but your method is perfectly correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook