Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How would you test large vehicle for sinusoidal vibration

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    Hey, could anyone explain how you would preform a sinusoidal test on large vehicle (weight>40 tons). I have a graph from sinusoidal data, but i don't understant how they were able to obtain this information because there is not a powerful enough testing device.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How much does a Boeing 747 aircraft weigh?

http://www.worldwide-aviation.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164:delayed-747-8-set-for-pre-flight-shake-tests&catid=39:ac-manufacturers&Itemid=68 [Broken]

There are some vibration test facilities for large/heavy vehicles. What vehicle do you have data on? Perhaps that manufacturer has a large test facility including a vibration test area, or else contracts out to some large test house?

EDIT -- A Boeing 747 weighs more than 40 tons:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747family/pf/pf_facts.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Dec 29, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can buy hydraulic actuators that will apply 10 or 20 tonnes force at frequencies up to 100 or 200 Hz "off the shelf". That's more than enough for most vibration testing. You don't need to apply a 40-tonne force to shake a 40-tonne structure by a measurable amount.

This is a static load test not a vibration measurement, but it give an idea what sort of test rigs are built for special purposes: (It also show how much aircraft wings can bend before they break, which might be a surprise!)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Dec 30, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the examples and the help, It makes sense to me now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook