Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Hubble breaks the distance record with a redshift of 11.1

1. Mar 5, 2016 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2016 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Our current theories do not predict any "limiting value" for redshift. We have already measured a redshift much larger than 11.1: the redshift of the CMB, which is about 1000. This is just the record for the measured redshift of a single object.

[Btw, if you label a thread as "A", that implies that you have a graduate level understanding of the subject matter. This question is really a "B" question, and I have relabeled the thread accordingly.]

4. Mar 5, 2016 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

5. Mar 5, 2016 #4
    Thanks for replies guys.

I know the CMBR redshift is ~1000, but I was expecting to see a tangential limiting value for galaxy redshift at some point. I guess we need more measurements? Hopefully I will still be here to see the JWST measurements.

Btw I am a Physics Grad, just a very long time ago, specializing in Radio and Microwave Frequencies. Worked on Cyclotrons, Plasma Generators and 3G Transmitters mainly, for nearly 40 years.
    But point taken, Cosmology was not a course I could take back then, even though it is one of the most interesting subjects for me now.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted