Hubble constant from Time delays

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a quasar and an elliptical galaxy and provides information such as the redshift, separation of the images, and intensity flare. The goal is to calculate the Hubble Constant using the given information. One approach is to use geometry to find the ratios and lengths of the light paths, and then use the time delay to determine the Hubble Constant.
egsid
Hello, everyone it seems to me that people understand how to do this problem but I am struggling to solve it.

Homework Statement

A quasar with redshift 0.3 is gravitationally lensed into two images by an elliptical galaxy at redshift 0.18. There are two images of the quasar which are separated from the center of the galaxy by 1.10 arcsecs and 1.60 arcsecs on opposite sides. One of the quasar images flares up in intensity by 1 mag. and 16.7 days later the second quasar image flares by the same amount and with the same time profile. Assume the quasar is directly behind the galaxy and that the light paths are straight lines from the quasar to the point nearest the galaxy, then bend, and then are again straight from the point nearest the galaxy to the Earth. From this information, calculate Hubble Constant.

Homework Equations

I think this is what is my problem.
I think maybe v = H0*d is the relevant equation. The angles given may help determine what d is which in some combination will help determine Hubble constant?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew my diagram and labeled it with the relevant details. I thought you had to calculate the velocity of the quasar and galaxy so I used the equation 1+z = sqrt((c+v)/(c-v)) to find them. Obviously the time delay is 16.7 days but I don't know how to use this to calculate the Hubble Constant. Also, I don't know if the fact that the intensity "flares up in intensity by 1 mag." is relevant.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've no background in relativity theory, so I may be off the mark here, but it looks like a simple geometry problem.
You have a straight line E (Earth), G (Galaxy), Q (Quasar). At right angles to this are the lines AG, GB to the points where the light paths are taken to bend. You know the ratio EG:GQ, and the angles GEA, GEB. That gives you the ratios of all the lengths in the diagram. The delay tells you the difference in length between the paths QAE, QBE, so that fixes all lengths absolutely.

1. What is the Hubble constant and how is it related to time delays?

The Hubble constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. Time delays refer to the amount of time it takes for light from a distant object to reach us. The Hubble constant is calculated by observing the time delay between the appearance of a distant object and its current position, allowing us to estimate how fast the universe is expanding.

2. How is the Hubble constant calculated from time delays?

To calculate the Hubble constant from time delays, scientists measure the distance to a distant object using various methods such as parallax or standard candles. Then, they observe the time delay between the appearance of the object and its current position. By dividing the distance by the time delay, the Hubble constant can be calculated.

3. What is the significance of the Hubble constant for understanding the universe?

The Hubble constant is a crucial parameter for understanding the age, size, and expansion of the universe. By measuring the Hubble constant, scientists can estimate the age of the universe, the distance to distant objects, and the rate at which the universe is expanding. This information is essential for studying the evolution and structure of the universe.

4. How has our understanding of the Hubble constant changed over time?

Our understanding of the Hubble constant has evolved over time as new observations and data have become available. In the 1920s, astronomer Edwin Hubble first discovered the expansion of the universe and calculated a value for the Hubble constant. Since then, there have been numerous revisions and refinements to this value, with the most recent measurements indicating a slight decrease in the Hubble constant.

5. How do uncertainties in measuring the Hubble constant affect our understanding of the universe?

Uncertainties in measuring the Hubble constant can significantly impact our understanding of the universe. A small change in the value of the Hubble constant can lead to significant differences in estimates of the age, size, and expansion of the universe. Therefore, it is essential for scientists to continue refining their methods and measurements to reduce uncertainties and improve our understanding of the universe.