Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Human cloning was yet scientifically possible

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100329/158353194.html

I didn't even realize that human cloning was yet scientifically possible. I know that some scientists cloned a sheep many years ago. But other than that, I didn't know people could be plausibly cloned yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2
    Re: Cloning?

The technology to make human cloning viable isn't really availible but that by no means is to say that it's not scientifically possible.

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3

A sheep is really no different (in terms of making a clone), than a human would be...so yes, it is certainly plausible.

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4

I still can't figure out why it's banned everywhere beforehand. Whats the big deal? Too many Sci-Fi movies?

6. Mar 29, 2010 #5

the cloned animals arent perfect copies of the original. The sheep picture we see when we google it was like the 300th trial before they finally got something that could grow up and didnt die. The theory and protocols used are extremely expensive and because of all the bans, no one has really made any significant efforts in improving the methods.

It's ethical issues that prevents people from pursuing it

7. Oct 16, 2010 #6

Are there countries where human cloning is not legally forbidden? If yes, why people who want to improve the methods do not move to those countries?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook