Hurricane forces — Comparing the force from a 60 mph wind to a 120 mph wind

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the expression for the mass of a train in terms of air density and wind speed. The participants also consider the volume of air impinging upon the train in a given time. It is emphasized to avoid using the same letter for different quantities in a problem.
Shaye
Homework Statement
The arrival of a hurricane is predicted with wind speeds of 120 mph (miles per hour). The force exerted by a 60 mph gale on the sides of a train locomotive has been measured and found to be F. Will the hurricane forces on the same locomotive be:

1. The same as F
2. Twice as large as F
3. Three times as large as F
4. Four times as large as F
Relevant Equations
F=Δp/Δt and Δp = Δ(mv)
The marker wrote that the answer is 4 and it's because m and v double. I don't understand how m doubles??

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find an expression for m in terms of the air density and the wind speed?

Likes hutchphd
Orodruin said:
Can you find an expression for m in terms of the air density and the wind speed?
The only thing I can think of is p=m/v and m=pv and ke = 1/2(pv)*v^2...but I'm still at a loss

Shaye said:
The only thing I can think of is p=m/v and m=pv and ke = 1/2(pv)*v^2...but I'm still at a loss
So, you now have impulse = mv and ##m = \rho v A## ... (you need the area to make a mass/time out of the density.

Shaye said:
That confused me. p is usually used for momentum and lowercase v for velocity, leading to equations like p=mv. So I think you mean ##m=\rho V##, V being volume. But then you have ##ke = 1/2(pv)*v^2##, which uses v for velocity and volume, so write ##KE = 1/2(\rho V)*v^2##.
Next is to consider what volume of air impinges upon the train in time t.

Last edited:
Likes Shaye
haruspex said:
That confused me. p is usually used for momentum and lowercase v for velocity, leading to equations like p=mv. So I think you mean ##m=\rho V##, V being volume. But then you have ##ke = 1/2(pv)*v^2##, which uses v for velocity and volume, so write ##KE = 1/2(\rho V)*v^2##.
Next is to consider what volume of air impinges upon the train in time t.
Oh yes, using v instead of V for volume clearly confused me too to see what I expected to see. @Shaye Never use the same letter for different quantities in the same problem.

Likes Shaye

1. What is the difference in force between a 60 mph wind and a 120 mph wind in a hurricane?

The force of a hurricane is determined by its wind speed. The force of a 60 mph wind is equivalent to 0.0025 pounds per square inch (psi), while a 120 mph wind has a force of 0.0101 psi. This means that a 120 mph wind has approximately 4 times the force of a 60 mph wind.

2. How does the force of a hurricane impact structures and buildings?

The force of a hurricane can cause significant damage to structures and buildings. The higher the wind speed, the greater the force exerted on the building. This can result in structural damage, such as roof and wall collapses, as well as damage to windows and doors.

3. Is it possible for a hurricane with a lower wind speed to have a greater force than one with a higher wind speed?

Yes, it is possible for a hurricane with a lower wind speed to have a greater force. This is because the force of a hurricane is not solely determined by wind speed, but also by factors such as air density, duration of the storm, and the size and shape of the storm.

4. How do scientists measure the force of a hurricane?

The force of a hurricane is measured using a device called an anemometer. This instrument measures wind speed and can calculate the force of the wind using a mathematical formula. Scientists also use other tools, such as satellite imagery and Doppler radar, to track and measure the force of a hurricane.

5. Can the force of a hurricane be accurately predicted?

While scientists have advanced techniques for predicting the path and intensity of a hurricane, accurately predicting the force of a hurricane is still a challenge. This is because there are many factors that can impact the force of a hurricane, and these can change rapidly as the storm evolves. However, scientists continue to improve their forecasting abilities to better prepare and protect communities in the path of a hurricane.