Calculating Kinetic Energy of Hurricane Winds: A Simple Model Approach

In summary, in a simple model of hurricane Emily's wind speed, the winds extend to a height of 4000 m and begin with a speed of 303.0 km/hr at the eye wall, decreasing linearly to 0 km/hr at 128.8 km from the center. Using the average density of air, the total kinetic energy of the winds can be calculated by finding the integral of dK, which gives a linear fit function v(r) of -0.000765r + 98.5554. Correctly setting the limits of integration results in a total kinetic energy of 1.465E+17J.
baubletop

Homework Statement

In a simple model of the wind speed associated with hurricane Emily, we assume there is calm eye 18.8 km in radius. The winds, which extend to a height of 4000 m, begin with a speed of 303.0 km/hr at the eye wall and decrease linearly with radial distance down to 0 km/hr at a distance of 128.8 km from the center. Assume the average density of the air from sea level to an altitude of 4000 m is 0.969 kg/m3. Calculate the total kinetic energy of the winds.

Homework Equations

K = 1/2 mv2
dK = 1/2 dmv2
dA = 2πr dr

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the integral of dK in order to find the total KE.
This gives:
∫dK = ∫1/2 v2ρ*h*2π*r dr

Since v is a function of r, I converted the radii and velocities to meters and found a linear fit that represented v(r), which was:
v = -2.76r + 355137
And since ρ, h, and 2π are constants, they can be taken out of the integral, which gives:
KE = ρhπ ∫[v(r)]2 r dr
Since v(r) is already restricted from the outside of the eye to the outside of the entire hurricane, as far as I know it doesn't need to be further restricted in the integral.

I keep getting wrong answers from this, though, so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
baubletop said:
Since v is a function of r, I converted the radii and velocities to meters and found a linear fit that represented v(r), which was:
v = -2.76r + 355137

This doesn't seem to be correct. For example, at r = 18,800 m it doesn't give the correct speed in m/s. Did you convert hours to seconds?

Ah no, thanks for pointing out my mistake. This gives a new v(r):
-0.000765r + 98.5554
But this is still wrong when I plug it into the integral (I get 1.636e+17 J).

What did you use for the limits of integration?

None--I was told that since v(r) already takes into account the restriction from 18.8 km to 128.8 km, the limit on the integration didn't need to be set. But I'm not sure how correct this is.
Also, I've been using 128.8 km for the r when plugging in; should I be using 128.8 km - 18.8 km = 110.0 km instead?

Edit: Just tried that, still wrong.

I just tried setting the limits on the integration, which gave me the correct answer, 1.465E+17J. I was just given some bad information for the integral I guess (it's been a while since I've done integrals myself so I just trusted what I heard). Thanks for the help!

1. What is kinetic energy of a hurricane?

Kinetic energy of a hurricane is the energy that is associated with the movement of the storm's mass, including its strong winds and heavy rainfall. It is a type of mechanical energy that is caused by the storm's motion.

2. How is kinetic energy of a hurricane calculated?

The kinetic energy of a hurricane can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the storm, and v is its velocity. This formula takes into account both the mass of the storm and the speed at which it is moving.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a hurricane?

The kinetic energy of a hurricane is affected by several factors, including the storm's size, wind speed, and forward motion. A larger storm with higher wind speeds and faster forward motion will have a higher kinetic energy compared to a smaller, weaker storm.

4. How does the kinetic energy of a hurricane impact its intensity?

The kinetic energy of a hurricane is directly related to its intensity. A hurricane with a higher kinetic energy will have stronger winds and produce more precipitation, making it a more intense and destructive storm.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a hurricane be measured?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a hurricane can be measured using specialized instruments such as anemometers and rain gauges. These instruments can measure the wind speed and precipitation of the storm, which can then be used to calculate its kinetic energy.