Hurricane wind blowing across a flat roof

In summary, a hurricane wind with a speed of 180 km/hr exerts a pressure difference of 1625 Pa on a flat roof measuring 7.8 m x 12 m. The force exerted on the roof is calculated to be 152100 N.
xKalax
1.A hurricane wind blows across a 7.8 m x 12 m flat roof at a speed of 180 km/hr.

What is the pressure difference?

How much force is exerted on the roof?
2. Homework Equations

P= p_atmos + pgd
P=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

p = 101300Pa - (1.3)(9.8m/s^2)(93.6m^2)
p = 100107.5Pa

100107.5Pa = F/(93.6m^2)^2
F = 8.8 * 10^8 N

I know this is wrong, how do I go about solving this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's not the right equation. Rather, it's not the entire equation.

First of all, the numbers you used don't even turn out to have the right units. As in, d = 93.6 m^2 doesn't have the right units for d.

And think about it, the speed is given for a reason. Get the full equation, and plug in the values, and easily get the answer.

ok, I got the change in pressure to be 1625 Pa, which is correct.

I plug that into F = pA and get F = 1625Pa * 93.6m^2 = 152100, this seems too big.

I got it right, thank you!

Last edited:

What causes hurricane wind?

Hurricanes are caused by warm ocean waters and atmospheric conditions such as low wind shear and high humidity. The warm air rises and cools, creating thunderstorms that generate strong winds and heavy rainfall.

How fast can hurricane winds blow?

Hurricane winds can reach speeds of over 160 miles per hour. The strongest hurricanes, known as Category 5 hurricanes, can have wind speeds of over 200 miles per hour.

Why is a flat roof more susceptible to hurricane wind damage?

A flat roof has a larger surface area and less structural support compared to a sloped roof. This makes it more vulnerable to high winds, which can create uplift and cause the roof to detach or collapse.

What precautions can be taken to protect a flat roof from hurricane wind?

Installing hurricane straps or clips can help secure the roof to the building's structure. Reinforcing the roof with additional support such as bracing or trusses can also help prevent damage. Regular maintenance and inspections can also identify and address any weak spots in the roof before a hurricane hits.

What should be done if a flat roof is damaged by hurricane wind?

If a flat roof is damaged by hurricane wind, it is important to have it inspected by a professional. Depending on the extent of the damage, repairs or replacement may be necessary. It is also important to document the damage for insurance purposes.