Husband found this fossil in a load of gravel

• Thread starter jwhittecar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load
In summary, the conversation was about a fossil that was found in a load of gravel in northwest Nebraska. The fossil is 5 1/2" long and 1 3/8" in diameter, with light spots that are shiny and tan in color. It appears to be a fragment of an ammonite, a marine creature from the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods known for its spiral-shaped shell. The fossil may be Triassic in age, but the diagnostic feature is not visible in the specimen. Overall, it is an exciting and beautiful find with a lot of history behind it.
jwhittecar
My husband found this fossil in a load of gravel that was delivered to our home here in northwest Nebraska. Can't say for sure, but gravel is probably from this area or maybe southwest South Dakota.

The fossil is 5 1/2" along outside curve and 1 3/8" in diameter. You can see in the photos light spots and those are very shiny, almost look like glass. The color in photos isn't accurate, the color is tan.

Sitting on the knobs it looks like a giant caterpillar to me. :smile:

Attachments

• misc 018.jpg
    misc 018.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 449
  • misc 021.jpg
    misc 021.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 453
  • misc 022.jpg
    misc 022.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 442
Earth sciences news on Phys.org

It appears to be a fragment of an ammonite. The ammonites were chambered creatures which added new chambers in a spiral pattern as they grew. The abandoned chambers were used to control floatation by varying gas pressure within them. In most ammonites the later chambers overlay the earlier ones. Some forms did not overlap - evolute rather than involute - and this appears to be such an example.

I'm going to take a wild guess - based on dimly remembered data from five decades ago - that this is Triassic in age. Unfortunately the real diagnostic feature is the suture line between chambers and this is not visible in your specimen.

Wow, what an amazing find! It's always so exciting to come across something like this unexpectedly. I'm not an expert in fossils, but I did a bit of research and it looks like your husband may have found a fossilized ammonite. Ammonites were marine creatures that lived during the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods, and they are known for their distinctive spiral-shaped shells. The shiny spots you mentioned are probably the remnants of the shell's inner layer, which was made of a pearly material called nacre. The color of the fossil may have changed over time due to the minerals in the gravel it was found in. Regardless, it's a beautiful specimen and I'm sure it holds a lot of history. Thanks for sharing it with us!

What type of fossil is it?

The type of fossil found in the gravel will depend on the age and location of the gravel. Different geological time periods and environments can yield different types of fossils, such as shells, bones, or imprints of plants or animals.

How old is the fossil?

The age of the fossil can be determined by analyzing the surrounding sediment layers and using various dating techniques, such as radiometric dating or relative dating. This can give an estimate of the age of the fossil and when it lived.

What species does the fossil belong to?

Identifying the species of a fossil can be a challenging task, as it often requires comparing the fossil to known specimens or using specialized techniques such as DNA analysis. It may also be possible to determine the species based on the location and age of the fossil.

What can the fossil tell us about the past?

Fossils give us a glimpse into the past by preserving evidence of ancient life forms and environments. By studying fossils, scientists can learn about the evolution of different species, the Earth's climate and geography, and how life has changed over time.

Is the fossil valuable?

The value of a fossil can vary greatly, depending on its rarity, condition, and scientific significance. Some fossils can be extremely valuable, both in terms of scientific research and commercial value, while others may have little to no value beyond their educational and scientific importance.