Hydrochloric acid as 7th highest searched topic on Yahoo

In summary, the conversation is about the different rankings on the Yahoo website, specifically the topics "Rune Scape" and "Iran." The conversation also discusses the possibility of students driving the numbers on the website and the idea that the search term "hydrochloric acid" may have risen due to a lab incident or research on illicit drugs.
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The lists I am viewing don't show this at all? Where are you seeing this? I see "Rune Scape" as 7th for 2007. Here is the current list by yahoo.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/

I see Iran as 7th.

Last edited:
Ha! At 7th I see "Swift Boat Politics" on the buzz.Yahoo.com site now. On the yahoo.com site it is still "hydrochloric acid".

Maybe students are driving the numbers on the Yahoo.com site?

Greg Bernhardt said:
The lists I am viewing don't show this at all? Where are you seeing this? I see "Rune Scape" as 7th for 2007. Here is the current list by yahoo.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/

I see Iran as 7th.

It was on the home page , probably not there at the moment anyway chemisttree concurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stupid as it sounds I wonder if it is not LHC related search...

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 401
chemisttree said:
Ha! At 7th I see "Swift Boat Politics" on the buzz.Yahoo.com site now. On the yahoo.com site it is still "hydrochloric acid".

Maybe students are driving the numbers on the Yahoo.com site?

I'm guessing that the first semester is in session , they should not have gotten to acid and bases yet, was there a major lab incident somewhere?

Probably because people are researching on what "free basing" of illicit drugs means.

gravenewworld said:
Probably because people are researching on what "free basing" of illicit drugs means.

Like I said, "Maybe students are driving the numbers on the Yahoo.com site?":rofl:

1. What is hydrochloric acid and what is it used for?

Hydrochloric acid is a strong, colorless, and highly corrosive acid. It is commonly used in industrial settings for tasks such as cleaning metal surfaces, regulating pH levels in water treatment, and producing various chemicals and products. It is also found in the stomach where it helps with digestion.

2. Is hydrochloric acid dangerous to handle?

Yes, hydrochloric acid is considered a hazardous chemical and can cause severe burns to the skin and eyes. It is important to handle it with caution and use proper protective equipment such as goggles, gloves, and a lab coat.

3. Can hydrochloric acid be found naturally?

Yes, hydrochloric acid can be found naturally in the stomachs of humans and animals where it helps with digestion. It can also be found in the Earth's atmosphere as a component of acid rain.

4. How is hydrochloric acid produced?

Hydrochloric acid is typically produced by combining hydrogen gas and chlorine gas. It can also be produced as a byproduct of certain industrial processes, such as the production of vinyl chloride, which is used to make PVC pipes and plastic products.

5. Can hydrochloric acid be neutralized?

Yes, hydrochloric acid can be neutralized by combining it with a base, such as sodium hydroxide. This reaction results in the formation of water and a salt. However, it is important to handle this process carefully as it can release heat and potentially cause further chemical reactions.