Experiments with Hydrochloric Acid (not really concentrated) at home

In summary: I don't really know how this works).In summary, according to the author, a balanced equation like NaCl+CH3COOH=HCl+NaCH3COO means that there is a reaction occurring. However, in the case of NaCl/KBr solution, it does not describe any reaction as all ions are just floating around.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello,
I have recently realized, that I had just made hydrochloric acid (HCl) (not really concentrated) at home by mixing NaCl with vinegar . I am interested in some experiments than I could easily conduct at home. I am interested in making ions or pure substances. Do you have any advice or suggestions?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I wouldn't say you have made hydrochloric acid. Yes, your solution contains ions present in hydrochloric acid solutions, but it doesn't mean it will behave as hydrochloric acid does.

Think about it this way: imagine mixing solutions of NaCl and KBr (sodium chloride and potassium bromide). Mixture contains four ions. No imagine mixing solutions of NaBr and KCl. You have produced identical solution (assuming you used same concentrations and volumes). You can't tell which solution is which, so technically you can't say whether the solution contains - say - sodium or potassium bromide. No, it contains separate ions, not particular compounds.

Can't think of any interesting experiments that will not require additional reagents though.

Borek said:
I wouldn't say you have made hydrochloric acid. Yes, your solution contains ions present in hydrochloric acid solutions, but it doesn't mean it will behave as hydrochloric acid does.

I have conducted some research about possible outcomes of my reaction and I believe I have done this:

NaCl+CH3COOH=HCl+NaCH3COO

This is a balanced equation.
Does it not count as hydrochloric acid? Why?

Do you know what dissociation is?

Borek said:
Do you know what dissociation is?

As far as I know, dissociation is when molecules break down as a result of an electric current being applied to the solution. As a result, ions that made up the substance are left. For example, when dissociation is applied to H2O, then the result is a positive ion of hydrogen and two negative ions of oxygen. Right?

Why?

Nope, that's not how it works. Dissociation in general has nothing to do with electric current. When you dissolve ionic salt (like NaCl) or an acid, especially a strong one (like HCl), or a strong base (like NaOH) they dissociate into ions and the solution contains just these ions. So for example NaCl solution is a mixture of Na+ and Cl- dispersed in water (this is part of a basic chemistry syllabus).

Now, reread my earlier post about NaCl/KBr solution and see how it applies to the equation you posted. Does it really describe any reaction, when all ions present are just floating?

It may happen that some ions do precipitate out of the solution, when the salt they produce is weakly soluble. Yes, then we will talk about reaction occurring.

Borek said:
Nope, that's not how it works. Dissociation in general has nothing to do with electric current. When you dissolve ionic salt (like NaCl) or an acid, especially a strong one (like HCl), or a strong base (like NaOH) they dissociate into ions and the solution contains just these ions. So for example NaCl solution is a mixture of Na+ and Cl- dispersed in water (this is part of a basic chemistry syllabus).

Now, reread my earlier post about NaCl/KBr solution and see how it applies to the equation you posted. Does it really describe any reaction, when all ions present are just floating?

I see what you mean with changing the place of the ions, but when I tried to test if I had actually made HCl or not, it looked like I have. I tested this by placing dirty coins in the solution and they became clearer.
However the thing with solutions and chemical reactions is that the ions do change place in the chemicals to form other, new substances. No?

Last edited:
Ivan Samsonov said:
I see what you mean with changing the place of the ions, but when I tried to test if I had actually made HCl or not, it looked like I have. I tested this by placing dirty coins in the solution and they became clearer.

That's because they actually react with H+, not hydrochloric acid per se. (Actually in the case of copper coins combination of H+ and Cl- yields some pretty interesting chemistry, but I suppose it is way over your knowledge level at the moment).

However the thing with solutions and chemical reactions is that the ions do change place in the chemicals to form other, new substances. No?

Yes, but just because some ions are present at the same time in the solution doesn't mean they will react, quite often they just float around and ignore each other.

So, the initial example with NaCl/KBr is one of those when nothing happens. The one with NaCl/CH3COOH is another one of this type. But for example mixing solutions of AgNO3 with solution of NaCl will produce a precipitate (so there is a reaction occurring), and mixing solution HCl with NaOH will produce H2O (technically Na+ and Cl- present in the solution don't react, as they don't change at all, they are called spectators; but if you dry the solution out you will get NaCl crystals).

Google for net ionic reactions, that's how this concept is called.

I think I actually know quite a lot in physics and chemistry for my age...
Thanks for all your advice and information Borek!

Ivan Samsonov said:
I think I actually know quite a lot in physics and chemistry for my age...

I am 54 and I guess I can say the same about myself :wink:

But, with each thing I learn I am more and more aware of how many things I actually don't know.

Likes ISamson
Borek said:
But, with each thing I learn I am more and more aware of how many things I actually don't know.

Absolutely true! Same here. It is just unimaginable how much information humanity has accumulated over these millenia.

Last edited:
Vinegar could do a lot of cleaning on a penny by itself. Vinegar is recommended as a non-toxic cleaner for kitchens. HCl should damage (or clean/remove) tile grout or concrete and will leave stains on stainless steel.

stefan r said:
Vinegar could do a lot of cleaning on a penny by itself.

Yes, trick is, presence of chlorides makes reactions much easier (most likely through Cu(I)Cl path).

1. Can I safely conduct experiments with hydrochloric acid at home?

Yes, you can safely conduct experiments with hydrochloric acid at home as long as you follow proper safety precautions. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat, working in a well-ventilated area, and using appropriate dilutions of the acid.

2. What are some common household items that contain hydrochloric acid?

Some common household items that contain hydrochloric acid include toilet bowl cleaners, rust removers, and pool cleaners. It is important to read the labels and follow safety instructions when using these products.

3. How do I dilute hydrochloric acid for home experiments?

To dilute hydrochloric acid for home experiments, you can mix 1 part acid with 10 parts water. Always add the acid to the water slowly and carefully to avoid splashing or spilling.

4. What types of experiments can I do with hydrochloric acid at home?

There are many experiments you can do with hydrochloric acid at home, such as testing its effects on different materials, observing its reaction with other substances, and measuring its pH level. However, always make sure to research and understand the experiment before conducting it.

5. Is there a safe way to dispose of hydrochloric acid after conducting experiments?

Yes, there is a safe way to dispose of hydrochloric acid after conducting experiments. You can neutralize the acid by adding baking soda or another base, then diluting it with a large amount of water before pouring it down the drain. It is important to never pour the acid directly into the drain without diluting it first.