Does capturing neutrons turn hydrogen into deuterium and affect the experiment?

In summary, the experiment involves firing fast neutrons into water and detecting the thermal neutrons scattered. When the hydrogen atom captures the neutron, it turns into deuterium and releases a 2.1-MeV gamma ray. This process requires a large number of neutrons to convert a significant amount of water into heavy water, and the time frame for this conversion depends on the neutron flux. The thermal neutron flux in a 20 MW research reactor is approximately 1 x 1014 neutrons/cm2-sec at 1 meter from the core.
Pheo1986
Hi all. I am going to be doing an experiment involving neutron scatter. I am going to be firing fast neutrons into water and then detecting the thermal neutrons scattered. I am also going to look into thermal neutron capture where the hydrogen atom captures the thermal neutron and gives off a promt gamma ray.

i was wondering that when the hydrogen atom captures the neutron does this turn it into deuterium and if so does this now mean that my targeted water has turned into heavy water? would this have any affect on my experiment in the long run? or is my understanding of physics/chemistry way off?

any help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
When a hydrogen atom captures a thermal neutron, it turns into deuterium with the release of a 2.1-MeV gamma ray. The cross section is about 330 millibarns (not very large). To turn 18 grams (1 mole) of water to heavy water, about 2 moles (12 x 1023) of neutrons are required, and 2 moles (12 x 1023) of 2.1-MeV gammas are released. If your neutron flux is 1014 n/cm2-sec, you will need to wait ~4 years to get a 1% concentration of deuterium in your water. What is your neutron flux? How long are you willing to wait to create 20 grams (1 mole) of heavy water?

Bob S

wow cheers for the indepth explanation Bob. I am not to sure what my neutron flux will be yet but my experiment will no way last as long as 4 years so I am sure i won't be having any problems with deuterium.

Thanks

Here is the thermal neutron flux in the core of a 20 MW research reactor. See especially the plot vs. distance from core:

http://www.frm2.tum.de/en/technik/reactor/neutron-flux-density/index.html

It is ~ 1 x 1014neutrons/cm2-sec at 1 meter from the core.

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is hydrogen neutron capture?

Hydrogen neutron capture, also known as radiative capture or neutron absorption, is a nuclear reaction in which a free neutron is captured by a hydrogen nucleus, resulting in the formation of a heavier isotope of hydrogen. This process involves the absorption of a neutron by the hydrogen nucleus, followed by the emission of gamma rays.

2. Why is hydrogen neutron capture important?

Hydrogen neutron capture is important in nuclear physics and nuclear engineering as it is a key step in the process of nucleosynthesis, which is the formation of heavier elements from lighter elements in the universe. This process is also used in nuclear reactors to control the rate of nuclear reactions and to produce radioactive isotopes for various purposes.

3. How does hydrogen neutron capture differ from other types of neutron capture?

Hydrogen neutron capture differs from other types of neutron capture, such as fission and alpha particle capture, in that it involves the capture of a single neutron by a hydrogen nucleus. This reaction usually results in the formation of a heavier isotope of hydrogen, while other types of neutron capture can result in the formation of different elements.

4. What are the potential applications of hydrogen neutron capture?

Hydrogen neutron capture has a range of potential applications in areas such as nuclear energy, medical imaging and therapy, and research. It can be used to produce radioactive isotopes for medical and industrial purposes, as well as to study the structure and properties of atomic nuclei. It also plays a crucial role in the production of nuclear energy.

5. How is hydrogen neutron capture studied and measured?

Hydrogen neutron capture is studied and measured through various experimental techniques, including neutron activation analysis, gamma ray spectroscopy, and neutron scattering. These methods allow scientists to observe and measure the products of the reaction, such as gamma rays and beta particles, and to analyze the energy levels and properties of the resulting isotopes.