Can Hydrogen be Converted to Tritium?

In summary, the water you speak of can be separated into its heavier isotopes by electrolysis. However, it is not possible to obtain water made more than 90% out of deuterium monoxide.
munky99999
Ok say you take some water and use electrolysis. So you have H2.

Is it possible to some how go from

3H2 -> 2H3

?

essentially force it to go from stable to unstable-low level radioactive.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think you are confusing terms here.

"Hydrogen" is the element with atomic number 1 (1 proton). Its common isotope is H-1, (One proton in the nucleus). The other isotopes are deuterium (H-2; one proton and one neutron) and tritium (H-3; one proton and two neutrons).

H2 in a chemical equation means that two hydrogen atoms are bound together.

Hello,

I'd like to point out that though your thoughts weren't correct, it is possible to separate Hydrogen's heavier isotopes by electrolysis. Water is not only made of H2O, but also other molecules made of different isotopes, such as D2O. Electrolysis "picks out" the lighter isotopes, transforming them to hydrogen gas and oxygen more easily, leaving a higher than normal concentration of heavier isotopes. It seems that it is possible to obtain water made more than 90% out of deuterium monoxide ("heavy water"). Maybe the same applies the separation of T2O from water, in order to make a further electrolysis to finally obtain T2

Saker,

Tritium doesn't exist in nature. (except in very small quantities, or 'traces' produced by the cosmic rays)

It can be produced in nuclear reactors. Look on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium. There you will find the reaction of a neutron flux with lithium. This is how Tritium is prepared for the H-WMD.

It is also planned to produce Tritium in fusion reactors. These will be equipped with a blanket of litium where the fusion 14MeV neutrons will produce Tritium. Here tritium will not be used for H-WMDs but as fuel for the fusion reactor itself.

Michel

Yeah, now that I think about it, it really is too rare to be obtained in such a way. Thanks for the info.

Actually, I believe that one in every 70 000 000 molecules of hydorgen is tritium.

i believe it can be made in a lab but i doubt you have the resources for that

rctrackstar2007 said:
i believe it can be made in a lab but i doubt you have the resources for that
Yes, tritium is produced as a byproduct of the creation of F-18 from nearly pure water in a cyclotron.

Tritium costs about 30 million US $ per Kg to produce.

1. Can hydrogen be converted to tritium through a chemical reaction?

No, hydrogen cannot be converted to tritium through a chemical reaction. Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen, and its formation requires a nuclear reaction.

2. How is tritium produced from hydrogen?

Tritium is produced through the process of nuclear fusion, where two hydrogen atoms combine to form a helium atom and a neutron. This reaction occurs in high-energy environments such as nuclear reactors or stars.

3. Can tritium be produced artificially in a laboratory setting?

Yes, tritium can be produced artificially in a laboratory setting through the bombardment of lithium or boron atoms with neutrons. This results in the formation of tritium and other byproducts.

4. Is tritium a stable element?

No, tritium is not a stable element. It has a half-life of about 12 years, meaning that it decays into helium over time. However, it is not highly radioactive and poses minimal health risks in small amounts.

5. How is tritium used in practical applications?

Tritium is used in various practical applications, including as a fuel source for nuclear reactors and in the production of luminous paints and signs. It is also used in research and development of nuclear weapons and as a tracer in medical and environmental studies.