Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrolics, Forces and flow rate.

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    Hi, I'm currently trying to work out the forces involved in raising a traffic barrier.

It works using hydrolics.

It has a motor that has a speed of 1400 rpm and 1/3 hp. the torque of the motor is 200Nm

the pump is a lobe pump and has a delivery of 1.5 l/min.

The pump will move the hydrolic oil through a hose 50mm2 and then into a piston of 1320mm2

I need to work out the force that the pump/ motor is exerting on the fluid. However i am not sure how i can do this only using the mass flow rate.

If anyone can tell me if this can be done/ how to do it would be great. If there is any additional information needed to solve this problem i can probably provide it.,

Thank, Will.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2
    By traffic barrier do you mean one of those arms that drop down by railway lines? They have a counterweight opposite the arm that basically cancels the weight of arm so you don’t have to lift very much. For the hydraulics you must decide how fast you want it to operate as well as the force needed. Here are some formulas to get you started:
    http://www.hydraulic-systems.com/pages/ref_formulas.htm

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    Thanks, those formulas have been quite useful.

By parking barrier i meant the type of barrier use in car parks to let you in/ out. The are usually powered using an electric motor or a hydrolic pump. The is no counter balance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook