Hypernova release two huge jets of gamma rays

In summary, a hypernova is formed when a hypergiant star collapses at the end of its life and releases exceptionally bright gamma ray bursts. These bursts are so powerful that they may have caused a mass extinction 440 million years ago. The show "The Death Star" mentioned using these bursts as a lifeline to follow back in time to the "Cosmic Dark Age," which refers to the time in the beginning of the universe when there were no stars and it was completely dark. By studying the gamma ray bursts from hypernova collapses in the early universe, we can gain insight into the conditions of the universe during the Cosmic Dark Age. However, it is still unclear what exactly the show meant by "The Death Star" and its connection
randeezy
I know that a Hypernova release two huge jets of gamma rays, but I'm not real sure on how they are formed. Also it was mentioned that by following the burst of gamma rays, we're looking back in time. How is this actually possible. I have a shaky grasp on the idea.

Space news on Phys.org

A hypernova is formed the same way as a supernova, its formed when a star known as a hypergiant at the end of its life collapses in and releases exeptionally bright gamma ray bursts that have the energy of a 100 supernovae.

One theory says that these gamma ray bursts from the collapse of such a big star are so powerful that they may have caused a world wide extincition 440 million years ago that killed 70% of marine animals.

Hope this helps.

The show that mentioned the Hypernova was "The Death Star". It said that using these gamma ray bursts as a lifeline, we could follow them back the the "Cosmic Dark Age". What does this mean?

Im pretty unsure what it meant by Death star though it may be something to do with it the extinction 440 million years ago, but the cosmic dark age happened at the beginning of the universe it was the time between when the universe cooled and when the first stars were formed meaning that at this time the universe was completely dark. I think the reason why it says about using a hypernovas gamma ray bursts lifeline is because at this early time there would have formed hyper stars and because these stars are so big they burn up fuel and die quicker. So the gamma ray bursts caused by these hypernova collapses in the early universe may be seen today and could be tell us about the conditions of the universe just when the dark age began to end.

Ok. Cool. Thanks.

randeezy said:
I know that a Hypernova release two huge jets of gamma rays, but I'm not real sure on how they are formed.
Can you clarify 'they'?

Are you asking how the hypernovae are formed, or how the gamma ray jets are formed?

DaveC426913 said:
Can you clarify 'they'?

Are you asking how the hypernovae are formed, or how the gamma ray jets are formed?

"They" = Hypernovae - for clarification...

1. What is a hypernova?

A hypernova is an extremely powerful and rare type of supernova explosion that occurs when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How are hypernovae different from regular supernovae?

Hypernovae are much more energetic and produce much larger explosions than regular supernovae. They are also thought to be the source of some of the most powerful bursts of gamma rays in the universe.

3. How do hypernovae release jets of gamma rays?

During a hypernova, as the star collapses, its core becomes extremely dense and hot, causing the release of intense beams of gamma rays along its rotational axis. These jets can travel at nearly the speed of light and can extend for thousands of light years.

4. What is the significance of hypernova jets of gamma rays?

The jets of gamma rays released during a hypernova are some of the most powerful and energetic events in the universe. They can help scientists study the properties of matter, the formation of black holes, and the evolution of galaxies.

5. Are hypernovae a threat to Earth?

No, hypernovae are typically located in distant galaxies and their jets of gamma rays are highly directional. This means that they are not a threat to Earth unless our planet happens to be directly in the path of the jets, which is extremely unlikely.