1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperplanes of ##M_n(\mathbb{C})##

1. Feb 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that any hyperplane of ##M_n(\mathbb{C})## contains at least an invertible matrix

2. Relevant equations
    Let ##H## be an hyperplane of ##M_n(\mathbb{C})##.

3. The attempt at a solution

By contradiction, assume that for any matrix ##A\in H##, ##A## is not invertible.
    Therefore 0 is an eigenvalue of A, and there exists a basis of ##M_{n,1}(\mathbb{C})## in which at least the first column of ##A## is 0.
    This can be translated to : there is a surjection ##\phi## between the vector space ##U = \{ M\in M_n(\mathbb{C}) : \forall i = 1...n\ m_{i1} = 0 \} ## and hyperplane ##H##.

My problem to obtain a contradiction is that ##\phi## is not linear. If it was I would use the rank theorem and
    ## n^2 - 1 = \text{dim}(H) = \text{rk}(\phi) \le \text{dim}(U) = n^2 -n ##
    which is a contradiction as soon as ##n\ge 2##.

How would you solve this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2016 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To me it is not immediately clear that there exists a basis that accomplishes this simultaneously for all ##A \in H##.
    I would perhaps start by noting that there exists a nonzero ##c \in \mathbb{C}^{n \times n}## such that ##H## is linearly isomorphic to
    $$
    \left\{a \in \mathbb{C}^{n \times n}\,:\,\sum_{j = 1}^n\sum_{i=1}^nc_{ij}\overline{a_{ij}} = 0 \right\}
    $$
    (Every hyperplane can be written as the kernel of some non-zero functional.) Since ##c## is non-zero, you could then solve for one of the entries of ##a## while keeping the freedom to choose the other ##n^2 - 1## entries at will.

Does this help?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  4. Feb 13, 2016 #3
    We can write ##M_n(\mathbb{C}) = H \bigoplus \mathbb{C} M_0 ##, where ##H ## is the kernel of a linear form ##\phi : M_n(\mathbb{C}) \to \mathbb{C} ##, and ##\phi(M_0) \neq 0##

Assuming that ##H## doesn't contain any invertible matrix, the family ##(M_i)_{i\in I}## of all invertible matrices has the form : ##M_i = A_i + \lambda_i M_0##, with ##\lambda_i \neq 0 ##.

But that means that for all ##i\in I##, ##\phi(\lambda_i^{-1} M_i) = \phi(M_0) \neq 0 ##. This implies that for all ##i\in I##, ## \lambda_i^{-1} M_i \in \mathbb{C}M_0##

But the restriction of ##\phi## to ##\mathbb{C}M_0## is a bijection onto ##\mathbb{C}##. Since the ##(\phi(\lambda_i ^{-1} M_i))_{i\in I}## are all equal to ##\phi(M_0)##, that means by injectivity that all invertible matrices should be proportional 2 by 2. This is absurd.

Is it correct?

5. Feb 13, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

It implies ## \lambda_i^{-1} M_i = \lambda_i^{-1} A_i + M_0 ∉ H##, i.e. its projection on ##\mathbb{C}M_0## equals ##1## and not that it is included in ##\mathbb{C}M_0##.
    I think that you somehow need to use the fact that ##GL_n(ℂ) ⊂ M_n(ℂ)## is a dense subset, i.e. you probably need to wiggle a little bit on a point ##M## in ##H## to find an invertible point ##M+εM'## without leaving ##H##.

Edit: IMO induction on n seems to be the easiest way.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  6. Feb 13, 2016 #5
    Doomed ! Once again :woot:

7. Feb 14, 2016 #6

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(bolding mine)
    Without loss of generality, you can assume ##a_{11}## is that one entry.

8. Feb 14, 2016 #7
    I think I have it :

Let ##(E_i)_{i = 1...n^2-1}## be a basis of ##H##. Then the matrices ## M_\lambda = E_i + \lambda E_j ## are in ##H##.
    But ##P(\lambda) = \det M_\lambda ## is a polynomial of ##\mathbb{C}_n[X]##.
    Therefore it has at most ##n## zeros and there is a complex ##\lambda_0## for which ##P(\lambda_0)\neq 0##.
    Meaning that ##M_{\lambda_0} \in H## is invertible.

Is it good now?

9. Feb 14, 2016 #8

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##E_1=\begin{pmatrix}
    1 & 0\\
    0 & 0
    \end{pmatrix}
    ##, ##E_2=\begin{pmatrix}
    0& 1\\
    0 & 0
    \end{pmatrix}
    ##
    What is the polynomial ##P(\lambda)##?

10. Feb 14, 2016 #9
    Hmmm I get it, but really, I'm starting to dry up with this problem !

11. Feb 14, 2016 #10

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look again at @Krylov 's tip and its implications.

12. Feb 14, 2016 #11
    I did not understand what he said

13. Feb 14, 2016 #12

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since H is a hyperplane, the n² matrix elements of matrices in H satisfy a linear equation. Solve this equation for one the elements (without loss of generality, say ##a_{11}##): that element is then a linear combination of all the others. To get a matrix in H, you then have n²-1 degrees of freedom, meaning you can chose n²-1 matrix elements freely. The last one will then be a linear combination of these freely chosen n²-1 elements.

14. Feb 14, 2016 #13
    I'm sorry, but this is above my head, I don't follow you.
    If you know how to solve it I'll be glad to read your solution. But it has already taken me too much time and I need to move on.
    Really sorry.

Thread closed, unless someone posts a solution

15. Feb 14, 2016 #14

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is ##A=\begin{pmatrix}
    x & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
    0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
    1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0
    \end{pmatrix}## invertible?

16. Feb 14, 2016 #15

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Don't be afraid to ask me next time. @Samy_A, thank you for clarifying.
    I hope you are willing to let it rest a bit (maybe for a few days) and then reconsider with a fresh mind. Sometimes it takes a while to solve an exercise, don't give up on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted