Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hypothetical question: Meteor hitting Earth

1. Aug 13, 2011 #1
    If there was a Meteor travelling at around 25,000 mph and was about 1km wide that hit Nevada, would that take out the whole state?

And how much debris would be floating about the atmosphere? How long does that stuff block the sun out?

And also, would that debris travel in a certain direction due to the winds and Earth's rotation etc?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2
    Hmm I think that the one 65 milion years ago they "say" was faster than that (Ive heard 30k to 70k mph) and like 4km wide?? Anyways, I think it would take out the whole state and more. NV and surrounding states are real dusty and dirty too. And your right, it would travel east with the jet stream for the most part. I figure after a few days it would cover the Earth in some aspect. Who knows how long it would last tho, a few months to a few years, but thats just a guess.

Well, its a solution to global warming..

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3
    didnt take in the type of terrain in the state, hhhmmmm.

i wonder how much life would live with out the sun for a year.

thanks for the reply mate.

:cool:

5. Aug 16, 2011 #4
    Surely almost all the plants will die in a 1000 mile radius from lack of sunlight, causing lots of animals and herbavores to die too.

The other thing I was thinking of is that after I posted is that if the vibration would affect the supermassive volcano under Yellowstone National Park or the San Andreas fault, a states distance in opposite directions.

Are you hoping for 2012 to end quick? lol

6. Aug 16, 2011 #5
    haha. i hadn't thought of volcanoes. i did see that in the movie 2012.
    i guess that would take out the sun over the whole west coast, even one whole half of the US.
    just going threw fiction sci-fi possibilities.
    getting some handy notes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook