Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical I am a writer working on a novel

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    PForums,

I am a writer working on a novel and as part of my job is to research the science behind any idea, I have to make sure is it plausible in real life.

So, my question is in regard to Necrosis of the Epidermis. Is there any known diseases that can cause necrosis on the Epidermis (outer layer of skin)? I did a Google Search for " Necrosis Diseases", and it, mostly just brings up 'Avascular Necrosis' and 'necrosis in regard to plants;' not quite what I'm looking for.

Also if you knew what was causing the Necrosis of a type of disease would it be possible to create a vaccination to counter act the necrosis if the person should come into contact with the disease?

v/Respectfully,
    Kage Kazumi

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Re: Necrosis

Have you done any research on necrotizing fasciitis? The condition can attack all kinds of underlying tissues, but generally starts with a wound in the epidermis, AFAIK.

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, how about Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) and toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN)?

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Googling "epidermal necrosis" brings up a bunch of info, give that a try.

6. Oct 11, 2011 #5

Well I am looking for actual disease list. I know of a female victim (TV show; see below) who was using a rusted razor and cut herself. The racer had a bacteria on it called "Group A Streptococcus" that caused necrosis. According to reports the lady died due to not getting treatment in time. This information of course came from a TV show; "1,000 Ways to Die," so I make no claim that it is fact ( http://www.spike.com/video-clips/pph8l1/1000-ways-to-die-face-offed" ). She was infected with a bacteria called "Group A Streptococcus."

Alright.

EDIT

I'll look into it.

v/Respectfully,
    Kage Kazumi

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook