I am currently working on my EE degree and I wish to have input

In summary: When it comes to your EE degree, where has yours taken you?My degree has taken me straight to the top...lol. Yes, I expected to be there. Am I as rich as I hoped...no, but I make almost double the average household income for my area...so that's nice.Communications are tough and job are limited compared to other fields...power electronics is also a specialized field, not as tough as comm, but jobs will also be somewhat limited.What do you need to get to that? Just take any EE curriculum and you will learn the theory which will allow you to learn at work.Most of your learning takes place at work. The degree just makes you
Forensics
I am posting this here with hopes that those of you will give me some industry experience! :)

When it comes to your EE degree, where has yours taken you? Where did you expect to end up vs where did you actually end up?

How do you feel about the communications field? Power electronics?

I know these are general questions, I am simply trying to learn where I want to go with my degree!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Alright, since no one else will answer...

For starters, my degree has taken me straight to the top...lol. Yes, I expected to be there. Am I as rich as I hoped...no, but I make almost double the average household income for my area...so that's nice.

Communications are tough and job are limited compared to other fields...power electronics is also a specialized field, not as tough as comm, but jobs will also be somewhat limited. I think general electric power is the most doable and the most jobs. My senior design was digital...never touched it since then.

What do you need to get to that? Just take any EE curriculum and you will learn the theory which will allow you to learn at work. Most of your learning takes place at work. The degree just makes you "trainable".

Last edited:
Thanks for the input man. I made a few threads deciding what I was going to major in once I finish my degree here at CC. The degree that I am taking now is more to help me out at work than to go towards electrical engineering, but there are some classes offered here that will apply towards EE. Calc 1, Calc 2, Communications, Instrumentation, Statistics, and so on. I feel that taking classes like that in preparation for a 4 year college will be very beneficial.

I've read and heard that communications and power electronics are both difficult and limited. What makes communications so difficult in your experiences with it?

When it comes to your EE degree, where has yours taken you?

While in graduate school for EE many years ago I decided to take a graduate business course...found it interesting. Then I had a summer job working for AT&T in a first level management position...working in a technical area and supervising people was for me way more interesting...

I discovered companies were eager to get people with technical degrees for general management...because they know how to analyze problems, utilize mathematics, and solve problems. So I went into a management training program for AT&T here in the US. The technical training made it easier to understand technology which people like accountants, human resource people, and most other non tech people, had much more difficulty understanding.

If I were doing it all over, even though I really liked EE, and have no regrets, I would have gotten an MBA or at least taken some graduate courses in finance and management. Some basic statistics shure would not hurt either.

Most important to follow study areas you LIKE...nothing is worse than working on things you don't enjoy and find interesting. That would be like marrying somebody you don't like...why bother?

edit: next best if you are uncertain about what course to take is to try something with a highly recommended professor. Youtube has all sorts of great video lectures...Leonard Susskind has several series of such videos on physics...MIT, Standford, has lots of stuff online [free].

Last edited:

Congratulations on pursuing your EE degree! It's an exciting and constantly evolving field that offers a lot of opportunities for growth and development. I can say that my EE degree has taken me to various industries and roles, from research and development to consulting and management. I initially expected to work in a traditional engineering role, but I ended up exploring different areas and found my passion in data analysis and modeling.

In terms of the communications field, I find it to be a crucial aspect of our modern society. With the advancements in technology, the demand for efficient and reliable communication systems has only increased. This field offers a lot of potential for innovation and impact, and I highly recommend exploring it further.

Power electronics is also a rapidly growing field, especially with the rise of renewable energy sources. It involves the design and development of electronic systems for efficient power conversion and control. It's a challenging but rewarding field that requires a strong understanding of both electrical and electronic principles.

As for where you want to go with your degree, my advice would be to keep an open mind and explore different areas within the field. Take advantage of internships and networking opportunities to gain industry experience and get a better understanding of your interests and strengths. Good luck on your journey!

1. What is an EE degree?

An EE degree stands for Electrical Engineering degree. It is a field of study that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems and devices.

2. What kind of input are you looking for?

I am open to any input or suggestions that can help me in my studies. This can include tips for time management, study techniques, or resources for understanding difficult concepts.

3. How difficult is it to obtain an EE degree?

Obtaining an EE degree can be challenging, as it involves a lot of technical and mathematical concepts. However, with dedication and hard work, it is definitely achievable.

4. What career opportunities are available with an EE degree?

An EE degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities, such as working in industries like telecommunications, electronics, power systems, and more. Graduates can also work in research and development, consulting, or pursue further education in graduate school.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area within EE?

Yes, many universities offer specialization options within the EE degree program. Some common specializations include power systems, telecommunications, electronics, and computer engineering. It is important to research and choose a specialization that aligns with your interests and career goals.