I am confused about the orbital velocity

In summary, the difference between speed (a scalar) and velocity (a vector) is explained. When an object moves from a to b on a circle, if you calculate the quantity arc length ab (aqb in diagram) divided by time, you have the speed of the object. If you calculate the quantity chord length ab divided by time (apb in diagram) you have calculated the average velocity. Velocity is displacement divided by time. Speed is distance divided by time. The distance traveled from a to b is the arc length aqb. The displacement from a to b is the chord length apb.
Misr
Hello,

We know that to calculate the orbital velocity we use the relation :

Vo=2* pi* r /time of one cycle

but if we want to calculate the orbital velocity when a body moves from the point a to the point b on a circular path we use the relation :

Vo = The line segment ab / time taken (as it is written I am my book)

so I'm confused with this.
it should be: the arc ab /time taken

so Could u help?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's about the difference between speed (a scalar) and velocity (a vector)
If you calculate the quantity in your first example, the circumference of the circle divided by the time taken, you have calculated the speed of the object. (Or more correctly, the average speed if the value is not constant)
circle.png

When an object moves from a to b on a circle, if you calculate the quantity arc length ab (aqb in diagram) divided by time, you have the speed of the object.
If you calculate the quantity chord length ab divided by time (apb in diagram) you have calculated the average velocity.
Velocity is displacement divided by time
Speed is distance divided by time
The distance traveled from a to b is the arc length aqb
The displacement from a to b is the chord length apb.

In the limit, as the interval approaches zero, the magnitude of the two quantities is the same.
btw, is that a circle or an ellipse on post no 356? It may just be my glasses.

In the limit, as the interval approaches zero, the magnitude of the two quantities is the same.

Wow, deja vu!

sophiecentaur said:

It's more likely my glasses. :bugeye:

Stonebridge said:
It's about the difference between speed (a scalar) and velocity (a vector)
If you calculate the quantity in your first example, the circumference of the circle divided by the time taken, you have calculated the speed of the object. (Or more correctly, the average speed if the value is not constant)
circle.png

When an object moves from a to b on a circle, if you calculate the quantity arc length ab (aqb in diagram) divided by time, you have the speed of the object.
If you calculate the quantity chord length ab divided by time (apb in diagram) you have calculated the average velocity.
Velocity is displacement divided by time
Speed is distance divided by time
The distance traveled from a to b is the arc length aqb
The displacement from a to b is the chord length apb.

(Or more correctly, the average speed if the value is not constant)
the speed is constant in a circular motion .

but speed value is equal to velocity they should have the same value
still confused :(
Thanks so much

Misr said:
the speed is constant in a circular motion .
Often but not always.
Certainly in most physics problems like these, involving circular motion, the speed is constant.
but speed value is equal to velocity they should have the same value
still confused :(
Thanks so much

Why should speed value and velocity be the same?
The answer I gave referred to "average velocity", not instantaneous velocity.
Unfortunately, we are not always precise with terminology. Sometimes people confuse, or are careless about, the terms speed and velocity.
They are not the same in physics.

Edit to add:
If you run half way around a circle, diameter 200m, in 1 minute, you run a distance of πd/2 = 314m
What was your average speed? Answer 314m/60s = 5.2m/s
But your end point is 200m from your start point. Your displacement is 200m.
What was your average velocity? Answer 200m/60s = 3.3 m/s
Distance and displacement measure different things; and average speed and average velocity measure different things.

When people refer to the Earth's orbital "velocity", they very often just mean the instantaneous speed at any point; the magnitude part of the velocity.

Last edited:
Misr said:
now its quite obvious

i'll tell u my real problem
http://dev.physicslab.org/Document....Motion_CentripetalAcceleration.xml#disclaimer

I can't understand why do we suppose the arc length equal to its chord??

dv/v = c/r

we substitute for c(chord length) by s (arc length)

What the proof does, is to say that the length of the arc and the length of the chord become nearer and nearer to equal as you make the arc smaller and smaller.
In the limit, when you take an infinitesimally small time interval, they become equal.
The calculus of the rate of change always uses this idea of taking a very small time interval, and looking at what happens as the interval gets smaller and smaller.

The instantaneous speed is the same as the magnitude of the instantaneous velocity.

What the proof does, is to say that the length of the arc and the length of the chord become nearer and nearer to equal as you make the arc smaller and smaller.
In the limit, when you take an infinitesimally small time interval, they become equal.
The calculus of the rate of change always uses this idea of taking a very small time interval, and looking at what happens as the interval gets smaller and smaller.
Ahaa...I got it now
thanks so much

The instantaneous speed is the same as the magnitude of the instantaneous velocity.
Yes
thanks very much ,Miss Sophie

MMM
i tried it
I don't know anything about limits but is there anything wrong about this equation?
where Vdt is ab arc

[PLAIN]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8510/limr.jpg

suppose we have this circle

[PLAIN]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1360/circle1.jpg

where ab is approx. 4 cm
ab arc = 9.4 cm

another circle after decreasing the angle we have

[PLAIN]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/213/circle2i.jpg

ab= 3cm
and ab arc = 3.14cm

so they approached each other when the angle decreases (or when time interval decreases)
till they both (the arc and the chord) equal zero when dt = zero
right or wrong??

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the actual values (to 3 significant figures) for your circle of radius 3cm
That's right
As the angle gets smaller the difference between the arc and the chord gets smaller

deg arc chord difference
90 4.712 4.243 0.470
80 4.189 3.857 0.332
70 3.665 3.441 0.224
60 3.142 3.000 0.142
50 2.618 2.536 0.082
40 2.094 2.052 0.042
30 1.571 1.553 0.018
20 1.047 1.042 0.005
10 0.524 0.523 0.001
00 0.000 0.000 0.000

Then nothing wrong with what i have written?

What you wrote is fine.
The only mistake was the calculation of the arc for 90 degrees.
That's why I wrote out the table of values for you.

What you wrote is fine.
The only mistake was the calculation of the arc for 90 degrees.
That's why I wrote out the table of values for you.
Yeah right . Actually it is 3*pi/2
Thanks very much This really really helped me understand.

1. What is orbital velocity?

Orbital velocity is the speed at which an object must travel in order to maintain a stable orbit around another object, such as a planet or star. It is influenced by the object's mass, the distance between the two objects, and the gravitational force between them.

2. How is orbital velocity calculated?

Orbital velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects. This formula is known as the circular orbital velocity formula, and it assumes that the orbit is circular.

3. What units are used to measure orbital velocity?

Orbital velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per second (km/s). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. How does orbital velocity differ for different objects in space?

The orbital velocity of an object depends on its mass and the mass of the object it is orbiting, as well as the distance between them. Objects with greater mass require a higher orbital velocity to maintain a stable orbit. The farther an object is from the object it is orbiting, the lower its orbital velocity will be.

5. What factors can affect orbital velocity?

In addition to the mass and distance of the objects, other factors that can affect orbital velocity include the shape of the orbit (circular or elliptical), atmospheric drag, and the presence of other objects in the vicinity that may cause gravitational perturbations. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in orbital velocity.