I am definitely missing something in this relation

• Thread starter nistaria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the conversation discusses whether a given relation on the set of real numbers is reflexive, symmetric, anti-symmetric, and transitive. The solution is determined to be not reflexive and not symmetric, but anti-symmetric and transitive. The question is raised about how it is possible for y to exist in the relation, but it is later realized that this is due to pulling all-nighters and not properly considering the logic of the problem.
nistaria

Homework Statement

For each of the following relations on the set of all real numbers, say whether it is reflexive, symmetricm anti-symmetric, and transitive.

Homework Equations

c)x=1

The Attempt at a Solution

According to class notes I took, as this simple question was solved in class
Reflexive: no (2,2) is not in the relation
Symmetric: no if(1,2)[tex]\in[/tex]R(relation,not real number) but (2,1)[tex]\notin[/tex]R
Anti-symmetric: yes
let (x,y)[tex]\in[/tex]R
===>x=1
if y[tex]\neq[/tex]x, then y[tex]\neq[/tex]1 and (y,x)[tex]\notin[/tex]R since y[tex]\neq[/tex]x=1

Transitive?
Yes
let (x,y)[tex]\in[/tex]R and (y,z)[tex]\in[/tex]R
===> x=1 and y=1
===> (x,z)[tex]\in[/tex]R

My question is .. how is it possible that it is not reflexive transitive, symmetric or for that matter is anti-symmetric?
How is it possible that y does exists in the relation? Wouldn't that be a false value to begin with? As in if we have a false value then we cannot compare it to the existing relation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright well I just figured it out.. i really need to stop pulling these all nighters and my only source of nutrition being candy bars and coffee.
The answer is so obvious and I definitely didn't see it.

1. What does it mean when someone says "I am definitely missing something in this relation"?

When someone says this, it means that they feel like there is something important or essential missing in the way they are relating to another person or situation. It could be a lack of understanding, communication, or connection.

2. How can I figure out what I am missing in a relationship?

The best way to figure out what you are missing in a relationship is to have an open and honest conversation with the other person. Ask them how they feel about the relationship and what they think could be improved. You can also reflect on your own feelings and thoughts to identify any gaps or areas of improvement.

3. Can missing something in a relationship be fixed?

Yes, missing something in a relationship can often be fixed. It requires both parties to acknowledge the issue and work together to find a solution. This may involve better communication, setting boundaries, or making changes to improve the relationship.

4. What are some common things that people miss in relationships?

Common things that people miss in relationships include trust, communication, emotional support, respect, and understanding. These are essential components of a healthy and fulfilling relationship and their absence can lead to issues and conflicts.

5. Is it normal to feel like I am missing something in a relationship?

It is normal to feel like you are missing something in a relationship at times. No relationship is perfect, and it is natural to have ups and downs. The key is to address these feelings and work towards finding a resolution with your partner.