I am stupid and everyone hates me

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary: I also have a really weird sense of time. I think about things for a really long time before I decide what I want to do, which can also be a problem. I also have extreme social anxiety which makes me really anxious in groups and also makes it hard to make friends.
He did make up for it with an invitation to a fancy meal out though. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Jelfish said:
It really doesn't matter if he's the first, third, or hundredth. It's not a club. If you're so sick of it then ignore the f***ing post.

And yes, I considered the fact that you were joking, and no, I'm not.
Ok, perhaps I'm being a bit belligerent. I've worked with depressed and suicidal teens so I take it personally. Sorry. kind of.

Jelfish said:
Ok, perhaps I'm being a bit belligerent. I've worked with depressed and suicidal teens so I take it personally. Sorry. kind of.

Why would you be sorry? There's no way in heck I would meet this guy,

1) I don't know him
2) I am a minor, its too dangerous
3) He told me to go kill myself.

I meant to apologize for sounding belligerant, not for my intent.

You must be pretty well off financially to turn down a fancy dinner like that.

QuantumTheory said:
Why would you be sorry? There's no way in heck I would meet this guy,
1) I don't know him
2) I am a minor, its too dangerous
3) He told me to go kill myself.

Just my 2 cents: soon you're not a minor anymore, think of that.

My advice is: get a low-life job (flip burgers at McDonalds or so), go live on your own with all the financial and practical problems it brings you, try to solve them and do everything on your own for a year or so. Maybe you'll enjoy taking your life in your hands. Once you've been through that (which will have been a major learning experience, believe me!), maybe YOU will beg your parents to allow you to go to college!

I've often seen that "the whip of real life" takes away the opportunity to get depressed: you'll have to eat and sleep first, and then no time remains to feel depressed. And you'll be extra motivated to do something about your situation.

I'd like to reiterate the suggestions of two people here. First, what Swerve said needs to be repeated. If you learn slow and have trouble handling a large work load, don't take one. Start out slow with 12 units a semester, the minimum needed to be considered full-time. You'll take longer to graduate, but so what? You'll probably take longer to mature anyway. You're much better getting decent grades over the course of five or six years than dropping out after one year of bad grades.

Also, what StatutoryApe said needs to be repeated. If this the way you come across in your daily life, then it should be no wonder that no one wants to hang out with you. Not only are you depressed, but you're depressing. Someone that is already a good friend will stick by you in a time like that, but you're not going to be making any new friends if you're this much of a downer (unless you're Japanese and join one of those group suicide pacts). I'm sure there is something in life that you enjoy. Do it more often and talk about it more often. Things like college only feel like a terrible burden when you're thinking about them constantly. You're just psyching yourself out and making it worse.

Trust me. I've been dumped by women I loved beyond belief, I've dropped out of multiple colleges, I've lived on the street for short periods of time, and I've damn near starved once or twice, but I was always happy, because ultimately, it's all in your mind (I suppose I also have the advantage of being highly intelligent, good-looking, and charismatic, but whatever). The only thing that no one can take from you is your own outlook.

I'll give you some advice. If you want to be liked, be likeable.

Some days I feel the way you describe: sad and depressed. I decide not to be that way. I decide to cheer up and try to be fun to be around. Remember, NO ONE OWES YOU HAPPINESS. Sounds harsh, but it's just the truth. It is up to you to be likeable, you can't blame others for not liking you.

To talk to someone, all you need to do is ask them about something that interests THEM, and then listen, REALLY listen. Listening does a few things for you, it implies you are interested in them, it gives you a chance to learn about them, it relieves you from the job of creating small talk, and it can actually make you appear smarter than you are.

Life is tough, it is not fair, you only get the one and it is up to you to make it work. You recognize you have problems, start recognizing solutions.

That's fine if you don't want to go to lunch. I thought maybe you needed someone to talk to and believe it or not I am one of the nicest people alive. It might not show here, but I think it does once you get to know me and my sense of humor. I didn' tell you to kill yourself, you were talking about doing it. I did tell you to grow up and I think that is good advice. Life is so much better than the alternative and sometimes that is hard to see, especially at your age. At my age it is quite a bit more obvious, so much so in fact that I don't have a lot of patience with people who don't see it and talk about taking the selfish way out and killing themselves.

tribdog said:
That's fine if you don't want to go to lunch. I thought maybe you needed someone to talk to and believe it or not I am one of the nicest people alive. It might not show here, but I think it does once you get to know me and my sense of humor. I didn' tell you to kill yourself, you were talking about doing it. I did tell you to grow up and I think that is good advice. Life is so much better than the alternative and sometimes that is hard to see, especially at your age. At my age it is quite a bit more obvious, so much so in fact that I don't have a lot of patience with people who don't see it and talk about taking the selfish way out and killing themselves.

I apologize then. However, I still do not want to meet strangers off the internet. I don't really know you that well.

vanesch said:
My advice is: get a low-life job (flip burgers at McDonalds or so), go live on your own with all the financial and practical problems it brings you, try to solve them and do everything on your own for a year or so. Maybe you'll enjoy taking your life in your hands. Once you've been through that (which will have been a major learning experience, believe me!), maybe YOU will beg your parents to allow you to go to college!
I've often seen that "the whip of real life" takes away the opportunity to get depressed: you'll have to eat and sleep first, and then no time remains to feel depressed. And you'll be extra motivated to do something about your situation.
I like it. An awful lot of kids have no clue whatsoever what it means to be an adult and no appreciation for how hard you really need to work at life in general - even high school. And while there is such a thing as clinical depression, too many kids are treated as if they have it, when all they really have is an unwillingness to grow up.

Here's another change of pace that would probably help in about the same way: Join the Navy.

Regardless of how you do it, though, what others said about attitude and outcome being a matter of choice is absolutely true. [redundant...] If you want to be liked, be likable. If you don't want to be overwealmed, be confident. If you don't want to be depressed, start doing things that aren't depressing.

And to keep the cliche's coming, whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right. So think you can and start acting like it.

Last edited:
loseyourname said:
(I suppose I also have the advantage of being highly intelligent, good-looking, and charismatic, but whatever).

Don't take this the wrong way, but whenever i see favorable self-evaluations like these i find it curious that though "highly-intelligent", the poster is not intelligent enough to realize that saying it is not to his benefit.

-Job- said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but whenever i see favorable self-evaluations like these i find it curious that though "highly-intelligent", the poster is not intelligent enough to realize that saying it is not to his benefit.
How so?

Two suggestions only, since I know nothing of acedemia.
First, force yourself to clean up and take care of yourself. That includes a proper diet. No matter how bad you feel initially, that will improve it.

Secondly, if flying is one of the things that you're interested in as a possible career rather than just a hobby, maybe you should take one of those introductory lessons (it was $5 when I did it, but I think that it's $65 now, in my area). If you can afford it, it might serve to shoot for your license before you start college. It still involves homework, but the practical side of being in the air is an exquisite feeling. You might have an easier time learning something that's so much fun. In addition, you'd have a way to support yourself when you are ready to go back to school.

As much as I would never recommend that anyone join the military when that psycho in office is bound and determined to start wars where ever he can, I agree with Russ in this instance. It's a guaranteed steady job, you have to shape up whether or not you want to, and I'm under the impression that Navy flight training is even better than the Air Force's.

-Job- said:

No, tribdog is a beautiful beautiful person in all respects.

tribdog said:
I'm getting sick and tired of all the suicidketeers showing up. Is it the holidays or what? I tried playing nice with the first couple but now I'm getting tired of the whining. Life's not that bad, quit your crying and grow up.
I agree this is Physics fourms not Suicde Fourms.
If you want to tell everone you want to kill yourself go to these sites instead:
http://grouphug.us/
http://suicidehotlines.com/
Please don't kill yourself.We need the next Einstein right now

Last edited by a moderator: