I hate my vibration class (vent)

In summary, the conversation is about how the speaker is struggling in their engineering class and is considering changing majors or adjusting their attitude. They mention having trouble with the amount of equations and not understanding what graph represents what. The professor's teaching style and lack of feedback on exams are also mentioned as factors contributing to their frustration. The speaker also reflects on their work ethic and the difficulty of the material. The conversation ends with a discussion about the importance of understanding and actively learning, rather than simply memorizing and passing exams.
Pipsqueakalchemist
I legit absolutely despise this class. I did all the homework but still did trash on both the first 2 term test. There’s 1 million equations and I don’t even know what graph represents what. Professor doesn’t do any examples and gives homework problem that barely help. I don’t even want to bother with this stupid class anymore. Legit want to smash my laptop every time I have to study for this class. Well looks like I’m not going to grad school for engineering anymore since my gpa isn’t good enough despite splitting up my 3rd year. Sometimes I wonder why I even picked this major

Physics news on Phys.org
So why did you?
Remember if you are not confused you are not learning. Do you need a new major or an attitude adjustment? This stuff ain't easy and if you do it wrong people die.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
hutchphd said:
Do you need a new major or an attitude adjustment?
Excellent question. The two "wannas" make me wonder if attention to detail may be part of the problem.
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
There’s 1 million equations
If you are trying to memorize all "million", you are doing something wrong.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
It’s just for some reason the idea of studying and working seems so unappealing to me right now. I used to be a really hard working student but now I just don’t have any drive to work. I still want to stay in my major but my work ethic is just non existent at this point.
Are you sure this doesn't have anything to do with your situation?

Likes Mark44
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I did all the homework but still did trash on both the first 2 term test.
Can you show us some examples of homework and exam questions that you had trouble with?

Likes Klystron, yucheng and hutchphd
Vanadium 50 said:
Excellent question. The two "wannas" make me wonder if attention to detail may be part of the problem.

If you are trying to memorize all "million", you are doing something wrong.
I’m not trying to memorize them but there’s legit so many equations, the term test 2 was legit just linear algebra all over again where I just turned off my brain and just computed stuff that I had no idea what to do

berkeman said:
Can you show us some examples of homework and exam questions that you had trouble with?
Homework most of the time is fine, term test 1 I did basically all of them and still did bad. Second test was just ridiculous amounts of computation and I couldn’t finish and got most of the multiple choice wrong. Prof doesn’t even release the solution or give back the test so I don’t even know what I did wrong. I just know the grade

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Are you sure this doesn't have anything to do with your situation?
That was before, now it’s better since I do more work now, still struggle with time management but it’s much better. 3rd year has been a mess, every class has had a failing test average

hutchphd said:
Remember if you are not confused you are not learning.
While there are several studies giving credence to confusion being beneficial in the learning process. I don’t think it is accurate to say that you cannot learn without being confused based on personal experience.

Likes berkeman
Orodruin said:
While there are several studies giving credence to confusion being beneficial in the learning process. I don’t think it is accurate to say that you cannot learn without being confused based on personal experience.
It is an interesting question. I should probably have said "you are not learning the important stuff"
I am reminded of Feynman's quote about teaching from in the preface to the Lectures:
"The power of instruction is seldom of much efficacy, except in those happy dispositions where it is almost superfluous." from Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Vol. 1, 1776)

What we do in the classroom is encourage students to overcome the occasional obstacle or misunderstanding. For the most part, the genuine learning happens out of our sight. For me personally that involves pushing to edge of confusion. The important stuff is at that edge.

I guess there are times when things you already know are juxtaposed in such a way as to make perfect sense. No confusion required.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I just turned off my brain
Do you think this was a good idea?

Vanadium 50 said:
Do you think this was a good idea?
I mean it was just multiplying matrices and memorizing steps. Either way got a 34 on it. I’m going to just pass it. I don’t care about getting a good mark in class anymore

“Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it takes in." – Leonardo da Vinci
"Any fool can know. The point is to understand." – Albert Einstein.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." – Benjamin Franklin.

Likes russ_watters, Klystron, DaveE and 2 others
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I don’t care about getting a good mark in class anymore
Then why are you kvetching about it here?

And, BTW, if you are not facile with the mathematics used in physics - in this case, liner algebra - you will struggle with said physics.

Likes atyy
Lnewqban said:
“Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it takes in." – Leonardo da Vinci
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." – Benjamin Franklin.
How about "Less with the jaw and more with the paw"

Likes Lnewqban
It sounds like there are some less obvious lessons here that I think are, or will be important if you want to pursue a career in engineering:

1) Sometimes you will be faced with problems that are too hard, or things you don't understand. Sometimes you will need to learn new concepts or master new tools to get the job done. Sometimes you'll need to admit that you just aren't the right engineer for the problem at hand. Perhaps it's unfortunate that this is happening now in a school context, or maybe it's an early indication that you won't like engineering. Get used to it, this is life in the real world. We aren't just paid to know the answers, we are paid to solve real problems. There is no answer key in the real world of engineering.

2) Whatever career you choose you will have to deal with idiots, jerks, and people that have different goals than you do. You may be an engineer having to solve a human psychology problem. You will be given unsolvable problems. You will be given responsibility without the required resources or authority to succeed. Not always, mind you, but these things happen to nearly everyone at some time.

Find a way through, do your best. Look for alternate solutions. Maybe that requires quitting sometimes, IDK. Reframe the problem if possible. Talk to people. Tell you professor that you aren't succeeding. Ask for help. This is a staple of real world engineering: asking for help; we all do it.

Likes vanhees71, hutchphd, Lnewqban and 2 others
Lnewqban said:
I’ve tried to tell myself I’ve learned new stuff which is good. But my grades aren’t that great which demotivates me. Passing the class but with a bad mark still feels like a failure. And I can forget about grad school

Likes Lnewqban
Because I’m venting and complaining how much I despise that stupid class
Vanadium 50 said:
Then why are you kvetching about it here?

And, BTW, if you are not facile with the mathematics used in physics - in this case, liner algebra - you will struggle with said physics.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I’ve tried to tell myself I’ve learned new stuff which is good. But my grades aren’t that great which demotivates me. Passing the class but with a bad mark still feels like a failure. And I can forget about grad school
My humble suggestion, dear Pipsqeakalchemist, is to focus on learning, and on nothing else.
You may not learn much, but whatever that much is, it will be many times more satisfactory than any grade or diploma.
I have never been too intelligent as to master rigorous academic staff, but I have been persistent and curious, and content in my own way.

Remove any fear, which only comes from your negative imagination, because your brain has no capacity to learn anything while it is troubled by fear.
Rather than trying to be smart enough to catch everything, work on your self-confidence, inner peace and mental quietness.
Reduce the external noise from competition, comparison, teachers and classmates.
As much as you can, also reduce the internal self-defeating noise from judgments, false beliefs, expectations and anxiety.

From my own experience I can assure you that you don't have idea of what you are able to do and achieve.
You have simply not had time to work hard enough to prove that you are unable to learn.
Living and risking is the only way to experience life, and getting an education is part of life.
Just like most people, including the members of your family who helped you reach this point of your life, you will fail and try again, and fail again, and keep trying: that is what healthy humans do.

Yes, you can avoid the anguish of failure and go hide under a stone for the rest of your life; but you could also put yourself together and keep going and see by yourself what is the best that you can do.
At different times, I have chosen both ways, but no security has ever been as rewarding as the quiet happiness of touching the limits of my unknown capacities.

Now I am old and exhausted, all my opportunities are past things; but all yours are in the days and years to come.
Just lift your foot from the brake pedal and push the accelerator down to the floor: you are young and strong; this is your time!

-you-can%E2%80%99t-you%E2%80%99re-right22-1200x480.jpg

Likes Irishdoug, hutchphd, Hamiltonian and 1 other person
I endorse all the advice you have been offered above.
Arriving at Cornell as a freshman (1970 wow) I was suddenly confronted, for the first time in my life, with cousework that was actually difficult and peers who occasionally seemed superhuman. I worked very hard and made Dean's List that first semester. Having done that I never worried about grades again because I realized that the value is in the knowledge gained and the grades are secondary. You need to get to that place. I didn't always make Dean's List but I was wonderfully and broadly well educated (IMHO). I think you need to remember why you chose your field and let that illuminate your attitude. If the illuminant is weak then that is worrisome but Fear is a negative motivator.

Likes FuzzySphere, vanhees71, Lnewqban and 1 other person
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I legit absolutely despise this class. I did all the homework but still did trash on both the first 2 term test. There’s 1 million equations and I don’t even know what graph represents what. Professor doesn’t do any examples and gives homework problem that barely help. I don’t even want to bother with this stupid class anymore. Legit want to smash my laptop every time I have to study for this class. Well looks like I’m not going to grad school for engineering anymore since my gpa isn’t good enough despite splitting up my 3rd year. Sometimes I wonder why I even picked this major
Don't let one class determine your whole future! I suggest finding a tutor to help you see the big picture before giving up. Even if you do get a bad grade in this one class you may be able to redo it and may not keep you out of grad school. I had the same experience with an Optics (Light) class. I was overwhelmed by the number of formulas and different cases. I got the lowest grade of my undergrad career but I still got into grad school.

Likes hutchphd, vanhees71 and Lnewqban
Have you emailed your professor and asked for your exam transcript back? And asked him to go through it with you? Has he got office hours? Even go to his office and knock in and tell him you are having trouble with the class!

Likes Lnewqban and hutchphd
Thread closed due to a (now deleted) profane rant by the OP. Thanks to everybody for trying to help.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes vanhees71, Lnewqban, Bystander and 1 other person

1. Why do I hate my vibration class?

There could be a variety of reasons why you may not enjoy your vibration class. It could be due to the type of exercises or movements being taught, the intensity level, the instructor, or simply personal preference. It's important to identify the specific reasons why you dislike the class in order to find a solution or alternative that better suits your needs.

2. Is it normal to dislike a vibration class?

Yes, it is completely normal to not enjoy a particular type of exercise or fitness class. Everyone has different preferences and what works for one person may not work for another. It's important to find a form of exercise that you enjoy and that makes you feel good, rather than forcing yourself to do something you dislike.

3. Can I still benefit from a vibration class if I hate it?

It's possible to still reap some benefits from a vibration class even if you don't particularly enjoy it. Vibration training has been shown to improve muscle strength and balance, increase circulation, and reduce stress levels. However, if you truly despise the class, it may be more beneficial to find a different form of exercise that you enjoy and will be more likely to stick with in the long run.

4. How can I make my vibration class more enjoyable?

If you want to give the class another chance, there are a few things you can try to make it more enjoyable. You can speak to the instructor and let them know your concerns or dislikes. They may be able to modify the class or offer alternative exercises. You can also try attending the class with a friend for added motivation and support. Additionally, focusing on the benefits of the class and setting achievable goals for yourself can make it more enjoyable.

5. Should I continue going to a vibration class if I hate it?

If you have given the class a fair chance and still find yourself dreading it, it may be time to consider finding a different form of exercise that you enjoy. Consistency and enjoyment are key factors in maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle. If you hate your vibration class, it's unlikely that you will stick with it long-term, so it may be more beneficial to find an alternative that you look forward to and will continue doing regularly.