I believe I can Fly~I believe I can touch the sky

• Thread starter maxtheminawes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky
In summary, Augustine runs at 14.5m/s towards a cliff and jumps off at a 50 degree angle from the horizontal. He reaches a maximum height of 1.23m before falling back down to the beach below in 0.95 seconds. His velocity at the highest point is 1.8m/s and his final velocity before hitting the ground is 5.59m/s. There is no horizontal component of acceleration or displacement.
maxtheminawes

Homework Statement

Augustine continues to run around. He gets to the park and has the overwhelming urge to jump off a cliff and try to fly. He does so at an angle of 50 degrees to the horizontal while running at 14.5m/s. With his arms flapping, he rises in the air.
a) what is the highest point from the top of the cliff that he reaches before the laws of physics catch up with him and start bringing him back down to Earth?
b)What is his velocity at that point?
c)If the cliff is 10m high, how long is he in the air before he comes crashing down to the nice, soft, sandy beach below the cliff?
d)what is his final velocity?
e)what is his final horizontal displacement from the cliff?

Homework Equations

v=vo+at
y=yo+vot+1/2at^2
x=xo+vot+1/2at^2
v=final velocity
vo=initial velocity
yo=initial y displacement
xo=inital x displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Vx=14.5cos50=9.32
Voy=14.5sin50= 11.11

v=vo+at
0=(9.32)+(-9.8)t
-9.32=-9.8t
-.95=t
.95sec=t

y=yo+vot+1/2at^2
y=11.11(.95)+1/2(-9.8)
y=1.23m

b)1.8m/s

c).95secs

d)v=vo+at
v=14.5+(-9.8)(.95)
v=5.59m/s

e)x=xo+vot+1/2at^2
x=14.5(.95)+1/2(-9.8)(.95^2)
x=23.85m

Physics news on Phys.org
Distinguish between horizontal and vertical components of acceleration, velocity and displacement.
What is horizontal component of acceleration? ehild

i really have no clue. is it constant. i know that acc downwards is -9.8m/s^2

Yes, and (ignoring friction) that constant is 0! There is no horizontal force and so no horizontal component of acceleration.

I would like to remind you that the laws of physics do not allow humans to fly, no matter how strong our belief may be. What Augustine is experiencing is simply a result of his initial velocity and angle of jump, combined with the force of gravity. The highest point he reaches before falling back down is approximately 1.23 meters from the top of the cliff. At that point, his velocity is 1.8 m/s. If the cliff is 10 meters high, he will be in the air for approximately 0.95 seconds before landing on the beach below. His final velocity will be 5.59 m/s and his horizontal displacement from the cliff will be approximately 23.85 meters. These calculations are based on the assumption that there is no air resistance and that Augustine's body is a perfect projectile. In reality, air resistance and other factors would affect his trajectory and final outcomes. It is important to remember that while our imagination and beliefs can take us far, it is the laws of physics that ultimately govern our physical world.

1. What inspired the song "I Believe I Can Fly"?

The song was written and composed by American singer-songwriter R. Kelly for the 1996 film Space Jam. He was inspired by his own struggles and experiences, as well as the movie's theme of following one's dreams.

2. Is "I Believe I Can Fly" scientifically accurate?

The lyrics of the song describe a person's belief that they can fly and touch the sky. While this may not be scientifically possible for humans, it can be interpreted as a metaphor for having confidence and determination to achieve one's goals.

3. What impact did "I Believe I Can Fly" have on society?

The song became a popular anthem for empowerment and self-belief, especially among young people. It also won multiple awards and became one of R. Kelly's most successful and recognized songs.

4. Has "I Believe I Can Fly" been used in any other media?

Yes, the song has been featured in various commercials, TV shows, and movies. It has also been covered and sampled by many other artists.

5. Is there any controversy surrounding "I Believe I Can Fly"?

Yes, in recent years, the song has been associated with singer R. Kelly's sexual abuse allegations, which has led to it being removed from some media platforms. However, the song itself remains a popular and inspiring piece of music.