I can't find the log of a negative number

  • Thread starter Thread starter AllenHe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Log Negative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
AllenHe
Messages
74
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


there is an equation:

2^x=-6


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I know that log need to be used to find x. but I can't find the log of a negative number,,
 
Physics news on Phys.org


AllenHe said:

Homework Statement


there is an equation:

2^x=-6


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I know that log need to be used to find x. but I can't find the log of a negative number,,

And you cannot raise a positive number base to any real number exponent to get a negative power. So the answer is "no solution," unless the problem is a typo. Or, was this a part of a larger problem?