1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can't seem to find an eigenvector for this 2x2 matrix

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm doing an ODE for homework and I cant find the eigenvector for this matrix (sorry, I don't know how to make matrices on here. Consider these as one matrix.):

[ 2 0] [v[itex]_{1}[/itex]] = [0]
    [ 1 1] [v[itex]_{2}[/itex]] = [0]

2. Relevant equations

The only way he has taught us to find eigenvectors seems mostly like guesswork to me.

3. The attempt at a solution

2v[itex]_{1}[/itex] + 0v[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0

v[itex]_{1}[/itex] + v[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0

So 2v[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 0 =====> v[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 0

But v[itex]_{1}[/itex] + v[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0, so v[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 0 as well. But eigenvectors cannot consist of all zeros?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

wouldnt your eqn be more like

M * v = k * v where M is your matrix and k is some constant and v is your vector

2*v1 + 0*v2 = k * v1

v1 + v2 = k*v2

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3
    Sorry maybe I didn't give the full background. (A-rI)v = 0

A =

[3 1]
    [2 2]

one of the roots of the characteristic equation is r[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 1

Since r[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 1, (A-I)v=0

So

[ 2 0]
    [ 1 1] v = 0

5. Jul 20, 2012 #4
    !!!!

Just found my mistake, I copied the matrix wrong!!!

This is embarrasseing...

6. Jul 20, 2012 #5

jedishrfu

isn't that just Av = Iv which is Av = v ?

7. Jul 20, 2012 #6
    Found my mistake, I accidentally subtracted 1 from ALL the elements in the original matrix A, when I should have only subtracted 1 from a11 and a22

8. Jul 20, 2012 #7

jedishrfu

okay that makes sense.

9. Jul 20, 2012 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you have found your error, expanding on jedishrfu's suggestion that you solve Av= v, that would be [tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 \\ 2 & 2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}[/tex].
    which gives the equations 3x+ y= x and 2x+ 2y= y, both of which are equivalent to y= -2x. That is, any eigenvector, corresponding to eigenvalue 1, is of the form <x, y>= <x, -2x>= x<1, -2>.

For the other eigenvalue, 4, we have [tex]\begin{bmatrix}3 & 1 \\ 2 & 2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}= 4\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    which gives the equations 3x+ y= 4x and 2x+ 2y= 4y, both of which are equivalent to y= x. That is, any eigenvector, corresponding to eigenvalue 4, is of the form <x, y>=<x, x>= x<1, 1>.

Of course, solving [itex](A- \lambda)v= 0[/itex] is equivalent to solving [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex] but the latter is more closely connected to the definitions of "eigenvalue" and "eigenvector".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook