I challenge noone can answer my question

• Thread starter mayurr12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, the nucleus always carries a positive charge, even after beta decay. This is due to the strong and weak forces that help maintain stability in the nucleus. While beta decay can make a nucleus less stable in some cases, it can also make a nucleus more stable in others. However, it does create a positive ion which may undergo further decay processes.
mayurr12
in nucleus
neutron--------------->proton & electron

electron is emited as B RAY WHILE proton is in nucleus then nucleus must carry +ve charge & it should b unstable but it is stable howwwww

Physics news on Phys.org
mayurr12 said:
in nucleus
neutron--------------->proton & electron

electron is emited as B RAY WHILE proton is in nucleus then nucleus must carry +ve charge & it should b unstable but it is stable howwwww
The nucleus always carries a positive charge whether beta decay occurs or not. For instance, the nucleus of a nitrogen atom, contains 7 protons. That means it carries a charge of +7e and yet it is stable. I explain why in the next paragraph. On the other hand, the nucleus of a carbon atom contains 6 protons and carries a charge of +6e. It is stable as well. After the beta decay of a carbon nucleus, it becomes nitrogen with 7 protons in the nucleus. This nucleus is indistinguishable from any other nitrogen nucleus and is just as stable as they are.

The electromagnetic forces in the nucleus do tend to make it unstable. In that sense, you are right to expect that the nucleus might become more unstable after beta decay. Indeed, in some cases that is exactly what happens. However, there are other forces in the nucleus that are sufficient to overcome that tendency. These are called the weak force and the strong force.

Here are some examples of beta decay:
Radium 228 has a half life of close to 6 years. By beta decay it becomes actinium 228 with a half life of just over 6 hours. So as you expected, the nucleus become less stable.

Actinium 288 beta decays into Thorium 228 which has a half life of nearly two years. So in this case an unstable nucleus decays into one that is more stable.

I got these figures from this site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Thorium_series

Although beta decay does not necessarily render the nucleus unstable, it does turn an atom into a positive ion. The ion is unstable and will pick up an electron in what might be called a kind of decay (such language is very loose, and if the nucleus is in a molecule things get fuzzier). Perhaps this is what you meant.

Last edited:

I would like to take up your challenge and attempt to answer your question. The stability of the nucleus is a complex topic that has been studied and researched by scientists for many years. The stability of the nucleus is determined by the balance of forces between the protons and neutrons within it. While protons carry a positive charge, they also experience a strong force that binds them together with the neutrons. This strong force is much stronger than the repulsive force between the positively charged protons. This results in a stable nucleus.

Additionally, the emission of an electron (beta decay) does not affect the overall stability of the nucleus. In beta decay, a neutron is converted into a proton, and an electron is emitted. This process helps to maintain the balance of protons and neutrons in the nucleus and does not significantly impact its stability.

Furthermore, the stability of a nucleus is also influenced by the number of protons and neutrons it contains. Certain combinations of protons and neutrons result in more stable nuclei, while others may be more unstable and undergo radioactive decay. This is why different elements have different numbers of protons and neutrons in their nuclei.

In conclusion, the stability of the nucleus is a result of the strong force that binds protons and neutrons together, as well as the balance of protons and neutrons within the nucleus. While the emission of an electron may seem to affect the stability of the nucleus, it is just one factor in a complex system that determines its overall stability. I hope this explanation helps to answer your question.

1. How can you prove that no one can answer your question?

I cannot prove that no one can answer my question, as there may be someone who has the knowledge or ability to answer it. However, I am challenging others to try and answer it.

2. What makes your question so challenging?

My question may be challenging because it requires a deep understanding of a complex topic or it may have multiple possible answers that are difficult to determine.

3. Can you give any hints or clues to help someone answer your question?

I cannot provide any hints or clues, as it would make the challenge easier and defeat the purpose of the challenge. The point is for others to use their own knowledge and skills to try and answer the question.

4. Is there a specific field of science or expertise needed to answer your question?

My question may require knowledge from a specific field of science or expertise, but I have intentionally not specified it to make the challenge open to a wide range of individuals with different backgrounds.

5. What will happen if someone does manage to answer your question?

If someone does manage to answer my question, it would be a great accomplishment and I would congratulate them. However, the challenge will still remain open for others to try and answer it as well.