I did not know this technology was so far advanced

In summary, the conversation covers various topics related to robotics and AI, including a video showcasing Flex Pickers and a robot dog, as well as discussions about pursuing a degree in physics to work in these fields. The conversation also touches on the efficiency and capabilities of industrial robots, particularly in packaging muffins and sausages, and the complexity of vision systems in these applications. There is also a brief conversation about the potential for imperfections in robot behavior and the possibility of finding rare items in packaging.
glondor
Computer science news on Phys.org
mmmm pain au chocolade.

Very cool.

Robot dog:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5349770802105160028&q=robot+dog&total=2201&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

This is why I do controls engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I never though muffin organization could be so cool...Does this make me a nerd?

I love muffins.

Cyrus said:
Very cool.

Robot dog:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5349770802105160028&q=robot+dog&total=2201&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

This is why I do controls engineering.

You just want to test how it recovers when it jumps from a speeding car. :wink:

How it's Made a program on the Discovery Channel shows all kinds of robotic manufacturing technology. There are a lot of videos from the program on Youtube. Sometimes it is more interesting to watch something that is still hand made.:wink:

This one's pretty cool:

"Self-assembling self-replicating robots"

Mk said:
This one's pretty cool:

"Self-assembling self-replicating robots"

Can they make cookies? :wink:

Sort of off topic, but if I get a bachelors in physics, can I still end up working on robots or AI? I am still really interested in that, but not sure what to do if I want to pursue that further.

Seems kind of inefficient to me. I mean, they package those nice yummy chocolate muffins with the boring chocolate chip ones...what a waste. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

(I noticed a few sausages escaping earlier in the video too.)

You would definitely like the tv show how its made. The title is self explanatory.

The sausage picking was kinda scary. I had this image of a company office party. Drunken coworkers sneak off to the assembly line room for a romantic interlude. Long story short: naked man + accidentally activated sausage picker. I'll leave the resulting newspaper headline to your imaginations.

I am pretty sure that the machines are very gentle. I mean, the muffins and sausages aren't damaged.

Poop-Loops said:
I am pretty sure that the machines are very gentle. I mean, the muffins and sausages aren't damaged.

One hopes!

Poop-Loops said:
Sort of off topic, but if I get a bachelors in physics, can I still end up working on robots or AI? I am still really interested in that, but not sure what to do if I want to pursue that further.
If you have a passion for something and you're intelligent, you can end up doing it. If you want to be designing robots or AI though, that sounds like computer science and programming.

Mk said:
and you're intelligent

Damn. :frown:

Poop, do they have any AI classes at your school? Could you fit one into your schedule just to try it out?

Moonbear said:
Seems kind of inefficient to me. I mean, they package those nice yummy chocolate muffins with the boring chocolate chip ones...what a waste. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I would suspect that the vision system detected some flaw, making them unsuitable for packaging, those must be headed for the recycle line.

Poop-Loops said:

Be careful, you may get what you ask for. I work with robots, I have a BS in physics. HOWEVER, you do not need a Physics, or any other degree. Most of the people I work with have AA's in electronics.

I think that, for the most part, you would find industrial robots to be pretty boring.

Now the vision system that directs those muffin and sausage graping robots must be something to behold. All our vision system does is find a small circle, we have trouble keeping them going reliably. I cannot imagine what it takes to teach a vision system to recognize a bad muffin as different from a good one.

Integral said:
Now the vision system that directs those muffin and sausage graping robots must be something to behold. All our vision system does is find a small circle, we have trouble keeping them going reliably. I cannot imagine what it takes to teach a vision system to recognize a bad muffin as different from a good one.

Not really a big deal: Size parameters and color.

But, in these sorts of applications the strategy can very complicated. In some systems that I've worked with where the product stream is highly irregular, the system had to scan the field and determine the sequence needed to catch all product before it passes the work zone. I have worked on applications where there is a Ph.D. that does nothing but these sorts of calculations - the salesman problem, I guess.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
Poop, do they have any AI classes at your school?
So we're calling him Poop now?

Mk said:
So we're calling him Poop now?

Excuse me. Mr. Loops, I meant to say. :redface:

Moonbear said:

I was kind of thinking that, myself. Packaging the chocolate with the chocolate chip ones is okay, but they should program in some imperfections using a Gaussian distribution. A little less perfect robot that sometimes packaged 3 chocolate with one chocolate chip or 3 choc chip with 1 chocolate would be nice. And being able to find a rare all chocolate one or an all chocolate chip one would be a great find!

(And I'm not sure the escaping sausages were flawed, since the escaping ones were always located about the same location on the belt. Edit: Actually, that's not true. Once way over on the left got skipped, too. I think it's because there was no room on the belt the sausages were being placed on. Too many sausages were on the belt in too short of a time.)

Last edited:
BobG said:
I was kind of thinking that, myself. Packaging the chocolate with the chocolate chip ones is okay, but they should program in some imperfections using a Gaussian distribution. A little less perfect robot that sometimes packaged 3 chocolate with one chocolate chip or 3 choc chip with 1 chocolate would be nice. And being able to find a rare all chocolate one or an all chocolate chip one would be a great find!

(And I'm not sure the escaping sausages were flawed, since the escaping ones were always located about the same location on the belt. Edit: Actually, that's not true. Once way over on the left got skipped, too. I think it's because there was no room on the belt the sausages were being placed on. Too many sausages were on the belt in too short of a time.)
My money stays on skipped for a reason. Whatever, the end result is still the recycle line.

Nice soon they will replace all workers and free us up to do more important things, like watching tv and using the internet and reading and stuff.

Work both absorbs and degrades the mind.

Socrates I think?

Although I doubt he was thinking of particle physics or advanced neurosurgery.

Math Is Hard said:
Excuse me. Mr. Loops, I meant to say. :redface:

I hope to be Dr. Loops some day. :grin:

I'll be taking more Comp Sci classes next year when I have my GRE out of the way. Just labs and electives. I'll try to get into an AI class then.

Integral said:
Be careful, you may get what you ask for. I work with robots, I have a BS in physics. HOWEVER, you do not need a Physics, or any other degree. Most of the people I work with have AA's in electronics.

I think that, for the most part, you would find industrial robots to be pretty boring.

Yeah, I suppose I am being caught up in the 1% of robotics that pushes the edge (like military, Asimo, or those cube things) and forgetting that 99% is pretty mundane, but vital, applications like assembly line robots.

That's why studying computer science and then knowing a friend can get you straight to the top.

1. How far advanced is the technology?

The technology is constantly advancing and evolving, so it is difficult to determine exactly how far advanced it is. However, compared to just a few decades ago, our technology has made significant advancements in various fields such as medicine, communication, and transportation.

2. What are some examples of advanced technology?

Some examples of advanced technology include artificial intelligence, virtual reality, 3D printing, and renewable energy sources. These technologies have greatly impacted our daily lives and continue to be developed and improved upon.

3. How does advanced technology benefit society?

Advanced technology has numerous benefits for society, including increased efficiency, improved communication and access to information, better healthcare, and safer and more convenient transportation. It also has the potential to address global issues such as climate change and poverty.

4. Who is responsible for advancing technology?

Advancements in technology are the result of the collective efforts of scientists, engineers, researchers, and inventors from various industries and fields. Government funding and support also play a significant role in the advancement of technology.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to advanced technology?

While advanced technology has many benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. These include issues with privacy and security, potential job displacement, and ethical concerns surrounding the use of certain technologies.