I dont know how to organise my studying

• Studying
  • Thread starter nhrock3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the conversation was about a student struggling to balance studying for 5 courses with various lectures, practical lessons, and reception hours throughout the week. They are worried about forgetting material if they only study one subject for a long period of time and are looking for advice on how to effectively schedule their study time. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the big picture in order to better remember and understand individual concepts.
nhrock3
i got 5 courses
1 and a half month left till the end of the semmester
my lectures and practical lessons and reception hours are spread threwout the week
so i can't sit and study for a long period of time

if i don't go to some lectures and i got time and i study for two days one subject
then i start to forget the rest

what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nhrock3! :smile:

Don't miss any lectures!

You're not good enough to risk missing lectures.

Slow and steady is the best way.

You have 5 courses, so spend one day on each (between and around lectures), Monday to Friday, including evenings, and use the weekend to catch up on anything you didn't finish. :wink:

nhrock3 said:
i got 5 courses
1 and a half month left till the end of the semmester
my lectures and practical lessons and reception hours are spread threwout the week
so i can't sit and study for a long period of time

if i don't go to some lectures and i got time and i study for two days one subject
then i start to forget the rest

what to do?

What do you mean by "forget the rest"? Do you mean that you don't get to study those subjects, or that you actually start forgetting information from those subjects?

The two biggest aids that I figured out in school, and which I've carried forward into my work life (and learning other fields, like medical), are to make crib sheets to summarize the important things you've learned (and writing summary things down helps you to remember them), and to do as many practice problems as you can. Start at the end of the problem sets (yes the harder problems), and try to do all of the problems in each chapter. If you have problems with a question, it's because you haven't understood the concept that the author is testing you on with that question.

And in the end, try to relax and trust yourself. I had trouble doing that in school, but looking back, as long as you have a good work ethic, you will do well.

i ment that when i spend to much time learning one subject i start to forget the ,aterial i learned on other courses

i did a schedule but its a dissater
so here is the basic step
from those lists i need to choose when to go on each course
i got some options
http://i43.tinypic.com/o8yzo9.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/6qd73q.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/9lejyw.jpg

and i got normal analisis course
day 4 19-20 practice lesson
day 3 17-20 lecture

and for each of those 5 course i got reception hours
for each lecturer
i don't know how to construct effective schedule
i am overflown by so much hours i need to attend to
i can't see when to study by myself
to get the material in my head
??

nhrock3 said:
i ment that when i spend to much time learning one subject i start to forget the ,aterial i learned on other courses

i did a schedule but its a dissater
so here is the basic step
from those lists i need to choose when to go on each course
i got some options
http://i43.tinypic.com/o8yzo9.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/6qd73q.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/9lejyw.jpg

and i got normal analisis course
day 4 19-20 practice lesson
day 3 17-20 lecture

and for each of those 5 course i got reception hours
for each lecturer
i don't know how to construct effective schedule
i am overflown by so much hours i need to attend to
i can't see when to study by myself
to get the material in my head
??

I'm currently doing math and education. I don't know if this benefit you but when I go to learn I try and look at the big picture: basically find out what each subject is all about in as few words as possible.

Think about multivariable calculus: the tangent is no longer a line in two dimensions: its a plane in n dimensions: So this matrix form builds on linear algebra. Linear algebra in one sense is about solving linear systems Ax = b and through this one thing covers a multitude of different ways to solve this one equation.

Once you get the "big idea" you should look at what the individual snippets you learn and more importantly how they contribute or relate to the big idea. When you see this, it will become much easier to really know what you doing.

Now you may still have issues not remembering everything all straight away, but if you know what everything means once you see it, then more than likely you will understand it the second time around and remember it the 3rd or 4th time around.

So big picture first, then expand on the details.

1. What is the best way to organize my studying?

The best way to organize your studying will depend on your personal learning style and preferences. However, some general tips include creating a study schedule, breaking down large tasks into smaller ones, and using tools like flashcards or study guides.

2. How can I stay motivated while organizing my studying?

Staying motivated can be difficult, but finding a study buddy or joining a study group can help keep you accountable and on track. It can also be helpful to set specific goals and reward yourself when you reach them, or find ways to make the material more interesting and engaging.

3. How can I balance studying with other responsibilities?

Balancing studying with other responsibilities can be challenging, but setting priorities and managing your time effectively can help. Make sure to schedule breaks and incorporate self-care activities into your routine to avoid burnout.

4. Should I study in shorter bursts or longer sessions?

The ideal study session length can vary for each person, but in general, shorter bursts of studying with breaks in between can be more effective than longer sessions without breaks. Experiment with different lengths to see what works best for you.

5. How can I keep my study materials organized?

Keeping your study materials organized can help save time and reduce stress. Consider using a filing system, color-coding notes and materials, or using digital tools like Google Drive or Evernote to keep all your materials in one place.