Should I switch my undergraduate major?

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore in college and is interested in nuclear engineering because of its potential for high-paying jobs and their love for nuclear physics and chemistry. However, they have discovered that nuclear engineering is not as focused on quantum mechanics and nuclear physics as they had hoped, and instead focuses on reactor mechanics and other mechanical engineering concepts. They are considering switching to a physics major in order to learn more about applied quantum mechanics and nuclear physics, but are hesitant due to already being on track for an ABET accredited engineering degree and having a job lined up in the Army. They are also interested in fusion research.
CherryTrooper
Hi, new to the forums. Sophomore in college, Nuclear Engineer in training.

Nuclear Engineering seemed tempting for a few reasons: Engineering = $$ and Nuclear, well I love nuclear physics and chemistry so why not! Now what I found out:

What nuclear engineering is NOT: Quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, nuclear chemistry, applied quantum physics, etc etc etc.

What nuclear engineering IS: reactor mechanics, reactor physics, mechanical engineering, radioactive materials interaction with matter, applied fission to reactors, etc, etc.

bottom line: Nuclear engineering is applying current concepts to current engineering feats.
What I wanted: Learning current concepts in order to theorize and experiment on brand new concepts.

So I think I should switch to physics where within the track, there are classes on applied quantum mechanics, nuclear physics. I think I was mislead about Nuke E and honestly, it has almost nothing to do with physics besides physics being a back drop for it (like it is for all engineering). My only struggle is relinquishing an ABET accredited engineering degree opportunity. Should I switch? I know it's early on-- so does it get better? I want to switch because I know I'm interested in physics and not nuke, but I don't know if I'm just being hopeful again. I already have a job (Army) so that's not really an issue til another 10 years down the road, depending.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you interested in fusion research?

1. Should I switch my undergraduate major?

The decision to switch your undergraduate major is a personal one and will depend on your individual goals and interests. It is important to carefully consider your reasons for wanting to switch and the potential impact it may have on your academic and career path.

2. What are some reasons to switch my undergraduate major?

Some common reasons to switch your undergraduate major include a lack of interest or passion in your current major, discovering a new field of study that aligns better with your goals and interests, or realizing that your current major is not a good fit for your abilities or career goals.

3. How will switching my undergraduate major affect my academic progress?

Switching your undergraduate major may result in having to take additional courses or completing your degree later than originally planned. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to understand the impact on your academic progress and develop a plan to ensure you can still graduate on time.

4. Can I switch my undergraduate major multiple times?

Yes, it is possible to switch your undergraduate major multiple times. However, it is important to carefully consider your decision each time and understand the potential impact on your academic progress and graduation timeline.

5. How can I determine if switching my undergraduate major is the right decision for me?

It is important to thoroughly research and consider your options before making a decision. You can speak with academic advisors, career counselors, and other students in your potential new major to gain a better understanding of the field and its potential career opportunities. Additionally, taking courses or participating in internships related to your potential new major can also help you determine if it is the right fit for you.