I don't know where went wrong help needed

• Thread starter lmlgrey
  • Start date
In summary, a small pellet with a mass of 5.70 mg and a charge of 7.75*10^-7C is accelerated from rest at a potential difference of 4.50E+3 V between two parallel conducting plates in deep space. The work done on the charge is equal to the kinetic energy of the pellet, which can be calculated by multiplying the potential difference and the charge. After solving for the kinetic energy and converting the mass to kilograms, the speed of the pellet is found to be 1.106 m/s. However, this answer may be incorrect due to a discrepancy in using the appropriate SI units.
lmlgrey
1. Two parallel conducting plates that are in deep space are brought to a potential difference of 4.50E+3 V, and a small pellet of mass 5.70 mg carrying a charge of 7.75*10^-7C accelerates from rest from the positive plate. With what speed will it reach the other plate?

It seemed pretty obvious for me that by multiplying the potential difference and the charge on the pellet, the work done on the charge will be calculated. This work is equivalent to the kinetic energy of the pellet,
So change in U = 4.5*10^3 V * 7.75*10^-7 C = 3.4875*10^-3 J
and change in U = Kinetic energy = 0.5*(0.0057g)*v^2
solving for V I got v= 1.106 m/s
but the answer is wrong... can someone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kilogram is the SI standard mass unit to use with Joules. Convert the mass accordingly.

It's great that you were able to identify the relationship between potential difference and kinetic energy. However, there may be a mistake in your calculation as the units for mass should be in kilograms, not grams. This could be the reason for the discrepancy in your answer. Also, make sure to double check your conversions between units to ensure accuracy. Another thing to consider is the direction of the electric field between the plates and how it may affect the acceleration of the pellet. Keep exploring and double checking your calculations, and don't be afraid to seek help from your peers or a mentor if needed. Good luck!

1. What does "I don't know where went wrong" mean?

"I don't know where went wrong" is a phrase often used to express confusion or frustration when something does not go as expected. It suggests that the person is unsure of the cause or reason for their current situation.

2. Why is it important to identify where things went wrong?

Identifying where things went wrong is important because it allows us to understand the root cause of the problem and find a solution. Without identifying the source of the issue, it is difficult to address and prevent it from happening again in the future.

3. Can scientific methods be used to determine where things went wrong?

Yes, scientific methods can be used to determine where things went wrong. The scientific method involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to reach a conclusion. This process can be applied to identify the cause of a problem.

4. What are some common reasons for things going wrong in a scientific experiment?

There can be various reasons for things going wrong in a scientific experiment. These may include errors in the experimental design, faulty equipment, incorrect data analysis, human error, or unexpected external factors. It is important to carefully review the experimental process to identify the specific reason for the error.

5. How can I prevent things from going wrong in future experiments?

To prevent things from going wrong in future experiments, it is important to thoroughly plan and design the experiment, carefully follow the experimental procedure, and accurately record data. It is also beneficial to have a backup plan in case of unexpected issues. Additionally, learning from past mistakes and continuously improving the experimental process can help prevent errors in future experiments.