Capacitance and Dielectrics in Parallel Plate Capacitors

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, a parallel plate capacitor with a plate area of .0016 m^2 and a separation of .009 m is initially charged to a potential difference of 145 V. After disconnecting from the source, a porcelain dielectric with k = 6.5 is inserted between the plates. The charge on the capacitor remains unchanged at 2.28 x 10^-10 C, but the capacitance increases and the potential difference decreases. The new potential difference can be found using the formula q = kvc and the energy stored in the capacitor changes accordingly. The discrepancy in the calculated charge may be due to a slip in entering the value of the permittivity of free space, ε0.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

The plates of an air filled parallel plate capacitor with a plate area of .0016 m^2 and a separation of .009 m are charged to a 145 V potential difference. After the plates are disconnected from the source, a porcelain dialectric with k = 6.5 is inserted between the plates of the capacitor

a) what is the charge on the capacitor before and after the dialectic is inserted?
b) what is the capacitance of the capacitor after the dialectic has been inserted?
c) what is the potential difference between the plates of the capacitor after the dialectric is inserted?
d) what is the magnitude of the change in the energy stored in the capacitor after the dialectric is inserted?

2. Homework Equations

q = vc
Ue = (1/2) CV^2

c = epsilon 0 * A / d

The Attempt at a Solution

so for A)

I have q = vc ---> q = (145) ((epsilon 0 * A )/ d )

plugging in, q = (145) (8.55x10^-12) (.0016) / .009 = 2.204 x 10^-10

my books answer was 2.28 x 10^-10

They didn't even answer the second part of question A, which was what is that charge after. Since they only listed "2.28 x 10^-10 " as the answer to A, I'm going to guess that is the before AND after charge? Is this because if you disconnect from source, inserting the dialectric isn't going to change anything? Why was my answer off from the books, did I even do it right? I mean it was just plugging in the equation but still, it seems wrong to me..

Anyways I thought my formula would now be q = kvc with k being 6.5 but I guess not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:
I have q = vc ---> q = (145) ((epsilon 0 * A )/ d )

plugging in, q = (145) (8.55x10^-12) (.0016) / .009 = 2.204 x 10^-10
Looks like a slip in entering the value of ε0.

Since they only listed "2.28 x 10^-10 " as the answer to A, I'm going to guess that is the before AND after charge? Is this because if you disconnect from source, inserting the dialectric isn't going to change anything?
It changes some things. But, you are right. Once the capacitor is disconnected from the source, the charge on each plate is "trapped".

Anyways I thought my formula would now be q = kvc with k being 6.5 but I guess not?
That formula q = kvc is correct if c is the capacitance without the dielectric. But after the dielectric is inserted, is the potential difference still 145 V?

If the dielectric has neutral charge, before inserting, then it will not change the amount of charge in the capacitor. The dielectric does change the capacitance, so what happens to the voltage?

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measurement of an object's ability to store electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is represented by the symbol C. In simpler terms, it is the ability of a material to hold an electric charge.

2. How is capacitance calculated?

Capacitance is calculated by dividing the electric charge (Q) on one of the conductors by the potential difference (V) between the two conductors. This can be represented by the equation C = Q/V.

3. What factors affect capacitance?

The capacitance of an object is affected by several factors including the distance between the conductors, the size and shape of the conductors, and the type of material separating the conductors. The dielectric constant of the material also plays a role in determining capacitance.

4. How does capacitance affect electrical circuits?

Capacitance is an important factor in electrical circuits as it can store electric charge, which can then be released to provide a current. It also affects the overall impedance of a circuit, which can impact the flow of current. Capacitors are commonly used in circuits to store and release energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of capacitance?

Capacitance has many practical applications in various fields. It is used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers to store and release energy. It is also used in power transmission and distribution systems to regulate voltage levels. In addition, capacitance is utilized in medical equipment, such as pacemakers, and in sensors for touch screens and proximity detection.