1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't understand partial fraction decomposition

1. Jun 27, 2013 #1
    if there is something like (x^2+3x+6) in the denominator for one of the terms in a partial fraction problem, why do we put Ax+B instead of just A? and if the denominator is (x^2+3x+6)^2, why do we do {(Ax+B)/(x^2+3x+6)}+{(Cx+D)/(x^2+3x+6)^2}? i was always just told to memorize it, but why do we set it up this way? even a link to a derivation will probably help. the only thing i can find online is the formulas, basically what i just wrote.. but i want to know why those setups are the way they are, ie the reason behind them.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you thought about the simplest cases? Suppose your initial fraction is just [itex](4x- 2)/(x^2+ 3x+ 6)[/itex]. Do you think you ought to be able to write that as [itex]A/(x^2+ 3x+ 6)[/itex]? What would have happened to the "4x"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook