I don't understand the evidence or possibility of the Big Bang

Summary:

I have seen scientists everywhere support the Big Bang Theory but I don't understand how it is possible. Why didn't the universe just collapse into a black hole. I also don't see why our observations can't be explained by other phenomenon.

Main Question or Discussion Point

I don't understand how observations of the universe and theories behind the cosmos support the Big Bang Theory. For example, the microwave background could be explained through different mechanisms in space. Couldn't the red shift in galaxies be explained by something that occurred in the galaxy? Assuming that red shift does mean that galaxies are moving away, could it be a local phenomenon? I also want to know if there are other observations that I don't know about that support the Big Bang Theory. Please help me understand why the Big Bang Theory is so popular.

Answers and Replies

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2019 Award
Please help me understand why the Big Bang Theory is so popular.
Because it explains a lot of observations very parsimoniously.

the microwave background could be explained through different mechanisms in space. Couldn't the red shift in galaxies be explained by something that occurred in the galaxy? Assuming that red shift does mean that galaxies are moving away, could it be a local phenomenon?
I suggest that you crack open a textbook on cosmology (Riddle would be a good choice) and learn how cosmologists have considered all of these questions already, and why they have settled on the Big Bang theory as our best current model.

I also want to know if there are other observations that I don't know about that support the Big Bang Theory.
It's impossible to answer this since we don't know what observations you know about. In any case, taking the time to work through a textbook on cosmology will give you a good knowledge of all of the observations we currently have.

As a shorter introduction than a textbook, you could try Ned Wright's site:

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm

The "frequently asked questions" and "tutorial" links will probably address a lot of questions you have.

Why didn't the universe just collapse into a black hole.
The answer to this you can find in plenty of other threads here on PF (as well as in a textbook or, IIRC, in Ned Wright's FAQ). Briefly, because the universe was expanding.

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2019 Award
Please help me understand why the Big Bang Theory is so popular.
Your questions are much too broad for a useful PF discussion beyond the brief responses and suggestions I have already provided. If you have a more specific question about a particular claim or observation after you have spent some time learning the basics, you can start a new thread on that specific question.

Thread closed.