Possibility of Another Big Bang?

• B
  • Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Big bang
In summary, at the moment, there is no good reason to believe that the universe will die out with a big freeze.
kolleamm
I see all of these videos and ideas on how it appears that the universe will die out with a big freeze since all of the objects are becoming further and further apart and entropy is increasing. Given a very large amount of time practically everything will be too spread out for any star formations to form or for any sort of life to exist ... but my question is, during even a small fraction of this large amount of time, wouldn't the chance of a another big bang happening somewhere inside our universe be pretty high?
Perhaps I have the wrong idea, but wasn't the big bang merely a spontaneous event that occurred in empty space? Who's to say it can't happen again?

Space news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
wasn't the big bang merely a spontaneous event that occurred in empty space?
If you had definitive proof of that you'd get a Nobel Prize.

The current model of cosmology, called The Big Bang Theory, is totally silent on any creation event so your assumption is not based on any known science.

Likes Dragrath
kolleamm said:
Perhaps I have the wrong idea, but wasn't the big bang merely a spontaneous event that occurred in empty space? Who's to say it can't happen again?

Yes, you have the wrong idea. See, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

kolleamm said:
That's a pretty big article

Oh, the horror! The horror! You might have to spend as much as a half hour reading it (using the article length and the average reading speed of 250 wpm). Instead, you can have PeroK spend that half hour summarizing it for you.

• Haha
Likes Grinkle, sophiecentaur, Dragrath and 3 others
kolleamm said:
could you be more specific?

You have the wrong idea in what @PeroK quoted:

kolleamm said:
Perhaps I have the wrong idea, but wasn't the big bang merely a spontaneous event that occurred in empty space?

In other words, no, the big bang was not merely a spontaneous event that occurred in empty space.

Reading the article @PeroK linked to will start you on the road to understanding why. But it's still only a Wikipedia article; to really understand our best current models of the universe and the big bang, you need to spend some time with a good cosmology textbook, or the equivalent in online course materials.

kolleamm said:
I see all of these videos and ideas

"Videos and ideas" are not going to be reliable sources of information. That's why we don't normally accept them as valid references for PF discussion.

kolleamm said:
That's a pretty big article

Cosmology is a big subject. Cosmologists have spent decades building our best current model of the universe and the big bang. You should not expect to be able to gain a good understanding of it in a few sound bites.

Likes Dragrath
Thanks for your replies everyone, do you have any good recomendations for a Cosmology textbook? I find this topic to be very interesting and would always like to improve my knowledge about it.

kolleamm said:
Thanks for your replies everyone, do you have any good recomendations for a Cosmology textbook? I find this topic to be very interesting and would always like to improve my knowledge about it.

My understanding is that we do not know what triggered the big bang ( or inflation assuming that happened) in the first place and so we don't know if it could happen again. There are many ideas such as Conformal Cyclic Cosmology and another big bang from the instability of the Higgs which would match your intuition. But at the moment these are just ideas being exposed by scientists not something confirmed by data. Here are some links to see some of these ideas:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1307.8106
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_cyclic_cosmology

windy miller said:
we do not know what triggered the big bang ( or inflation assuming that happened) in the first place

Sort of. There are multiple theoretical possibilities and we don't know which one is right.

windy miller said:
we don't know if it could happen again

It depends on what you mean by "happen again". None of the theoretical possibilities are things that could happen in our current universe right now. Some of them are things that might happen in the far future of our current universe.

PeterDonis said:
Sort of. There are multiple theoretical possibilities and we don't know which one is right.
It depends on what you mean by "happen again". None of the theoretical possibilities are things that could happen in our current universe right now. Some of them are things that might happen in the far future of our current universe.

As I understand it the model proposed by Bars, Steinhardt and Turok https://arxiv.org/abs/1307.8106 is based on the metastability of the vacuum and could happen at any moment although this is very unlikely even within the framework of the model and of course we have no particular reason to think this model is preferred over any other similarly speculative ideas. But I am not aware that it is ruled out unless I am not up to date here?

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. Is it possible for another Big Bang to occur?

While the possibility of another Big Bang cannot be ruled out, it is unlikely to occur in the same way as the initial one. The expansion of the universe is currently accelerating, making it difficult for a new singularity to form.

3. What evidence supports the idea of another Big Bang?

There is currently no direct evidence to support the possibility of another Big Bang. However, some theories, such as the cyclic model, suggest that the universe goes through cycles of expansion and contraction, with each cycle starting with a Big Bang.

4. How would another Big Bang affect our universe?

If another Big Bang were to occur, it would likely result in a universe that is vastly different from our own. The laws of physics and the fundamental constants may be different, and the formation of galaxies and stars may follow a different path.

5. Can we observe or detect another Big Bang?

Currently, there is no way to directly observe or detect another Big Bang. However, scientists continue to study the early universe and the cosmic microwave background radiation in hopes of gaining a better understanding of the origins of the universe.