I don't understand the meaning of f^(39)(pi/2)?

• Thread starter jrjack
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about finding the 39th derivative of f(x)=sin x and evaluating it at x=pi/2. The notation f^(39) means to take the 39th derivative, and the notation f(39)(x) means to raise the function to the 39th power. The derivative of sin x is cos x, and if x=pi/2, then cos(pi/2)=0. After taking the derivative 39 times, it was determined that the value of f(39)(pi/2) is -cos(pi/2) = 0.
jrjack
I don't understand the meaning of f^(39)(pi/2)??

Homework Statement

Find the indicated derivative of f(x)=sin x and evaluate it at x=pi/2.

[tex]f^{(39)}(\pi/2)=[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what the f^39 means? And it could be f(39)(pi/2)? but it looks like f raised to the 39th power?

Is this a common way to express a problem, because I have not seen one like this yet?

I know the derivative of sin x, is cos x, and if x=pi/2, then cos(pi/2)=0

But how should I evaluate the rest of this problem?
If f^(39) makes no sense, then f(39)(pi/2) doesn't make any sense, because x=pi/2?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think they mean take the 39th derivative of sin(x) and evaluate that at pi/2 the 2nd derivative -sin(x) third is -cos(x) and fourth is sin(x)...

Last edited:

That makes more sense.

Is there a short cut or should I just change sin and cos (including the negative) 39 times?

jrjack said:
That makes more sense.

Is there a short cut or should I just change sin and cos (including the negative) 39 times?

every fourth derivative gives you sin(x) I think you can take it from there

Yes, as I started doing it, I quickly saw sin x after 4 times, and ended up with -cos x = 0.

Thanks.

jrjack said:
Yes, as I started doing it, I quickly saw sin x after 4 times, and ended up with -cos x = 0.

Thanks.
That's the right value, but what you got was -cos(π/2) = 0.

The notation f(39)(x), with parentheses around the exponent, usually means the derivative of that order. Without parentheses it would just mean raising the function to the indicated power.

Thanks for the clarity. Yes for this equation x = pi/2.

1. What is f^(39)(pi/2)?

f^(39)(pi/2) is a mathematical notation for the 39th derivative of the function f at the value pi/2. It represents the rate of change of the function at that specific point after 39 successive differentiations.

2. Why is f^(39)(pi/2) important?

f^(39)(pi/2) is important because it provides crucial information about the behavior of the function f at the point pi/2. It can help in finding the maximum and minimum values of a function, determining the concavity and inflection points, and solving optimization problems.

3. How do you calculate f^(39)(pi/2)?

To calculate f^(39)(pi/2), you need to use the fundamental definition of a derivative, which involves taking the limit of a difference quotient. This process can become very tedious and time-consuming, so it is often done using mathematical software or tables of derivatives.

4. Can f^(39)(pi/2) be negative?

Yes, f^(39)(pi/2) can be negative. The value of the derivative at a specific point can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the behavior of the function at that point. In some cases, it can also change sign as the value of the function approaches the point from different directions.

5. How is f^(39)(pi/2) related to the derivative of f?

f^(39)(pi/2) is the 39th derivative of the function f, which means it is the result of applying the differentiation process 39 times. It is a higher-order derivative and provides more detailed information about the function compared to the first derivative. However, both derivatives are related and can be used to analyze the behavior of the function at a specific point.