I don't understand this dynamics question?

• Thread starter Cokebottle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the reading on the spring balance will be 10N when the object is ascending and 30N when the object is descending.
Cokebottle
A spring balance reads 20N when a stationary object is suspended. Accelerating at 5m s^-2, What is the reading as the object when it is

(i) ascending
(ii) descending

I don't understand this question at all..

Can someone explain to me how do I solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

A spring balance uses a spring to counter the weight of an object (lets call it a mass), so when the mass is at rest the force generated by the spring due to it being deflected (that is, compressed if the mass is placed "above" the spring or extended if the mass is "hanging" from the spring) precisely balances out the force of gravity on the mass. The weight of the mass can then be read of a scale according to deflection of the spring.

Using Newtons 2nd law, this situation can be described by saying that the sum of the spring and gravity force is zero, i.e. Fs+Fg = ma = 0 because a is zero.

If you then accelerate the whole spring-mass up or down and still require the setup to be in balance, the two forces no longer sum to zero since the acceleration in the above equation now is plus or minus the given 5 m/s2. So, to figure out how much deflection the spring now must have you can insert what you know about the forces Fg (based on mass m and constant g) and Fs (based on spring constant k and deflection x), and you can solve to get the deflection.

Hello Cokebottle,

I think you should consider process of oscillation of the object on the spring. The dynamic equation will be
ma=mg-T
where m is the mass of the object, a is the acceleration of the object (is positive when is downward-directed and negative otherwise), g is the free fall acceleration and T is the spring force and it is T that responsible for value of reading of the spring balance.
So when the system is calm a=0 and mg=Tcalm=20 N
When the object is ascending we can infer that the acceleration is downward-directed (because the acceleration is always contra-directed to the velocity in oscillations), so
T=m(g-a)=mg(1-a/g)=Tcalm(1-a/g)=10N (approximately)
When the object is descending we can infer that the acceleration is upward-directed, so
T=m(g+a)=mg(1+a/g)=Tcalm(1+a/g)=30N (approximately)

Last edited:

1. Why is it important to understand dynamics in science?

Dynamics refers to the study of motion and forces, and it is a fundamental aspect of science. Understanding dynamics allows scientists to explain and predict the behavior of objects and systems, which is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause it, while dynamics takes into account the forces that affect the motion of objects.

3. How do I solve a dynamics problem?

To solve a dynamics problem, you need to first identify the forces acting on the object, then apply Newton's laws of motion to determine the resulting acceleration. You may also need to use equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, to solve for other variables.

4. What are some common applications of dynamics?

Dynamics has many applications in different fields, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, designing structures to withstand forces, analyzing the motion of celestial bodies, and understanding the movement of fluids.

5. How can I improve my understanding of dynamics?

To improve your understanding of dynamics, it is important to have a strong understanding of fundamental concepts such as forces, motion, and energy. You can also practice solving various types of dynamics problems and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed.