I don't understand this step in turning this negative into a positive

In summary: It's because both the numerator and denominator were negative. It's much neater and easier to turn such fractions into positives.
Nathi ORea
Homework Statement
I don't understand the final step of this working out
Relevant Equations
I don't think there is any.
So I have this question.
I get all the working out, but then I feel like the answer should be;
-2/(b-a).
Then I thought -2/(-a+b) must just be the same thing... all good so far..
Then they somehow just to 2/(a-b) as the final answer.. I'm lost there. How does that conversion happen?
Appreciate any help.
Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 5.08.52 pm.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Nathi ORea said:
Then they somehow just to 2/(a-b) as the final answer.. I'm lost there. How does that conversion happen?
I believe they just multiplied by ##\frac{-1}{-1}## to get rid of the negative on top. Since ##\frac{-1}{-1}## is equal to ##1## you aren't changing the value of the fraction when you do so.

Nathi ORea said:
Homework Statement:: I don't understand the final step of this working out
Relevant Equations:: I don't think there is any.

So I have this question.
I get all the working out, but then I feel like the answer should be;
-2/(b-a).
Then I thought -2/(-a+b) must just be the same thing... all good so far..
Appreciate any help.View attachment 323312
That's a somewhat odd approach, IMO. I would have done:
$$\frac{1}{a-b} - \frac 1 {b-a} = \frac 1 {a -b} + \frac 1 {a -b} = \frac 2 {a-b}$$

Likes berkeman and topsquark
In the original solution, note that:
$$\frac{-X}{-Y} = \frac X Y$$For any expressions ##X## and ##Y##.

Likes Nathi ORea and topsquark
Drakkith said:
I believe they just multiplied by ##\frac{-1}{-1}## to get rid of the negative on top. Since ##\frac{-1}{-1}## is equal to ##1## you aren't changing the value of the fraction when you do so.
Ok.. that’s what they did aye

Is there a reason why they did that?

Nathi ORea said:
Ok.. that’s what they did aye

Is there a reason why they did that?
Is it just neater to have a positive as the numerator or something?

Nathi ORea said:
Is it just neater to have a positive as the numerator or something?
It's because both the numerator and denominator were negative. It's much neater and easier to turn such fractions into positives. I'm sure you'd agree that ##\frac{-1}{-3}## is better to write as ##\frac{1}{3}## instead.

1. What is the purpose of turning a negative into a positive?

The purpose of turning a negative into a positive is to change one's perspective and mindset towards a situation. By focusing on the positive aspects, individuals can improve their mood, outlook, and overall well-being.

2. How do you turn a negative into a positive?

There are several ways to turn a negative into a positive, such as reframing the situation, finding the silver lining, practicing gratitude, and focusing on solutions rather than problems. It involves consciously shifting one's thoughts and emotions towards a more positive direction.

3. Why is it important to turn a negative into a positive?

It is important to turn a negative into a positive because it can improve one's mental and emotional health. Studies have shown that having a positive outlook can reduce stress, increase resilience, and improve overall well-being.

4. Can anyone learn to turn a negative into a positive?

Yes, anyone can learn to turn a negative into a positive. It may take practice and effort, but with time, individuals can develop the skills and mindset to reframe negative situations into positive ones.

5. Are there any potential downsides to always trying to turn a negative into a positive?

While it is beneficial to focus on the positive, it is also important to acknowledge and process negative emotions. Constantly trying to turn a negative into a positive may lead to suppressing or denying one's true feelings, which can be detrimental to mental health. It is important to find a balance and address negative emotions in a healthy way.