1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't understand how parameters are eliminated

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Eliminate the parameter and identify the graph of the pair of parametric equations. Determine the domain (the set of x-coordinates) and the range (the set of y-coordinates).

x = sin t, y = -3 sin t - 5

2. Relevant equations
    y = -3x - 5
    Domain: (-∞,∞)
    Range: (-∞,∞)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already solved this equation by substitution but I don't quite understand how the domain and the range are supposed to make sense. The domain of a sine function can't be higher than one or lower than negative one, right? Because sin2x + cos2x = 1, I don't believe that it's possible. Therefore, the domain of x cannot be (-∞,∞), and the domain of y cannot be (-∞,∞). Can someone explain to me how eliminating parameters is supposed to work?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have got the domain and the range of a function confused. The domain is typically the set of x-values over which the function is defined.

4. Feb 17, 2015 #3
    Do you mean that the range of a sin(t) function is [-1,1], and the domain (the angle) is [0,2π)? I still don't understand how this range and domain are eliminated.

5. Feb 17, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The value of a sine function can be smaller than zero, but you are right that it is bounded.
    That makes the given domain for x questionable.

6. Feb 17, 2015 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You have three different functions in this problem: x=f(t), y=g(t), and y=h(x), so when you talk about the domain and range, you need to specify which function you're considering. The problem is asking you to find the domain and range of h.

The domain of h is, as noted in the problem statement, all of the possible values x can take. That set happens to also be the range of f. You seem to have an idea of what this is, but [0,1] isn't correct. You might want to look at a plot of the sine function.

7. Feb 17, 2015 #6
    It's [-1,1], isn't it? If that's the case, why isn't the range of y [-2,-8]?

8. Feb 17, 2015 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why do you think it isn't?

9. Feb 17, 2015 #8
    It's what the online problem said, that's why.

Maybe it made a mistake?

10. Feb 17, 2015 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Sounds like it, or it wants the answer in a different form than the way you entered it.

11. Feb 17, 2015 #10
    Okay, thanks.

12. Feb 17, 2015 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you use the interval notation, [a, b], b has to be to the right of a on the number line.

The interval, [-2, -8], is improper.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  13. Feb 18, 2015 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Good point. I didn't even notice that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted