• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

I don't want to go into medicine !

• Thread starter hy23
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I don't want to go into medicine!!!!!!

Ok it seems like everyone studying in the Faculty of Science wants to become doctors. To me, being a doctor seriously sounds so boring. I mean, if I do get accepted into med school, that'd be cool and all. But it seems to me like I would be depriving myself of all the real interesting pursuits in life. What I'm really passionate about is math and physics, I mean the concepts presented in these disciplines aim to interpret our very existence, it's just so much more mindblowing than memorizing drugs in med school. Surely there must be some great career paths that will allow one the opportunity to dwelve deeper into math and physics and pay fat salaries at the same time?

Answers and Replies

fss

People generally don't go into pure sciences for the money. Seems like your priorities are misplaced, or you haven't decided what's really important for you in a career.

Pengwuino
Gold Member

Surely there must be some great career paths that will allow one the opportunity to dwelve deeper into math and physics and pay fat salaries at the same time?
Well, does working for defense companies and oil companies sound like an opportunity to delve deeper into math and physics? There is good money there. However the further you wish to pursue pure physics, the less people will be willing to pay you because you start looking at more abstract topics.

oh no, I definitely understand that any career involving pure physics or pure math does not pay much; I would be satisfied with some job that lets me use aspects of advanced math or physics and pay more than what a professor gets, this way I get to keep my brain sharp so I will be capable of dwelving into abstract topics in my spare time. With fields like medicine, it seems like they turn you into a talking biology textbook.

@fss well money is definitely top priority, only problem is all the jobs I know that pay big (like doctor) seems to be so monotone, there's no creativity!

@pengwuino: that sounds cool, know anything about working in those fields?

Most people who want to become doctors never will become doctors.

Medicine isn't boring an monotonous. They do research too, you know.

Pengwuino, is this idea attributable to Condensed Matter Physics? Would you consider Condensed Matter Physics (superconductors, nanotechnology/quantum computing) to be a more applied area which is high in employability?