I feel like we don't learn enough in our classes

In summary, the conversation discusses the feeling of not learning enough about a subject in a semester, despite the fast pace of learning. It is compared to running in a pool with your eyes closed, where the distance covered may seem longer than it actually is. The speaker suggests that the purpose of school is not to gain deep understanding, but rather to learn the broad ideas, vocabulary, reasoning skills, and how to obtain information. They also mention that working hard in a class may result in more knowledge than one realizes.
zachdr1
I'm not sure if this is the right section but..

During the semester it feels like we are learning a ton of stuff at a crazy pace, but then when the semester is over I always look back and am like "that's it? I've learned everything about X class that I will need to know for all of my future classes?" . I guess it feels like a class like Differential Equations should be so much longer because there's so much that can be learned about it; it all of the sudden ends after 15 weeks and I feel like I haven't learned enough about it.

It's kinda like running in a pool of water with your eyes shut; it's taking an extreme amount of effort and you feel like you have to have covered a good amount of distance within a short amount of time, but when you open your eyes and look back, you've only actually covered a few yards.

Anyone else feel like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
zachdr1 said:
I'm not sure if this is the right section but..

During the semester it feels like we are learning a ton of stuff at a crazy pace, but then when the semester is over I always look back and am like "that's it? I've learned everything about X class that I will need to know for all of my future classes?" . I guess it feels like a class like Differential Equations should be so much longer because there's so much that can be learned about it; it all of the sudden ends after 15 weeks and I feel like I haven't learned enough about it.

It's kinda like running in a pool of water with your eyes shut; it's taking an extreme amount of effort and you feel like you have to have covered a good amount of distance within a short amount of time, but when you open your eyes and look back, you've only actually covered a few yards.

Anyone else feel like this?

Yes, every single class through undergrad and grad school. I think it is normal.

You really aren't going to get a very *DEEP* understanding of anyone subject in school. In fact, I think it's not even the point. That understanding will come later when you

a) Have to do a project/thesis/research on a topic. (You will have to do lots of review to "relearn" the basics).
b) You have to take a really long really hard test like a qualifier.
c) You do some kind of work that utilizes you knowledge of the subject.

What you ARE learning is:

a) The broad idea behind the subject,
b) The vocabulary/definitions needed to talk about it
c) how to think and reason about the subject
d) How to get information about the subject when you need it

There's also a possibility, if you've worked really hard in a class, that you've learned more than you think you have. Even knowing what types of questions to ask about a topic shows a knowledge of the subject, regardless of whether you can actually answer the question.

-Dave K

Likes LittleMrsMonkey

1. Why do we feel like we don't learn enough in our classes?

There could be a variety of reasons for this feeling, such as a lack of engagement or relevance in the material being taught, a mismatch between the student's learning style and the teaching style of the instructor, or a heavy workload that leaves little time for deep learning.

2. Is it possible that we are not learning enough because the material is too difficult?

This is a possibility, but not necessarily the only reason. It could also be that the material is not being presented in a way that is conducive to learning, or that the student needs additional support or resources to fully understand the material.

3. How can we ensure that we are learning enough in our classes?

Effective communication with the instructor and asking questions when material is not clear can help ensure that you are learning enough in your classes. Additionally, actively engaging with the material and seeking out additional resources or study tools can also enhance your learning experience.

4. Are there any specific study strategies that can help us learn more effectively?

Yes, there are various study strategies that have been shown to be effective, such as creating study guides, practicing active recall by quizzing yourself on the material, and using mnemonic devices to aid in memory retention.

5. How can we approach our instructors if we feel like we are not learning enough in their class?

It is important to approach the instructor with a specific concern or question about the material and to do so in a respectful and constructive manner. This can help open up a dialogue and potentially lead to solutions that can improve your learning experience in the class.