I forgot what the formula for this is.

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary: Common_rotationsIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rotating a function about the x-axis by a certain angle, and suggests using a rotation matrix to achieve this. The idea is compared to Euler's formula, but it is noted that this formula only applies to complex numbers. The conversation concludes by discussing the difficulties in rotating a function and the possibility of using a 3-dimensional function to achieve this rotation.
flyingpig
If I give you a function f(x) (cartesian) and I ask you to rotate it about the x-axis (counterclockwise) by an angle phi, what is the new function formula?

I remember I did this with matrices, but I can't remember the one for functions. For convenience, let angle phi be 0, pi/2, 3pi/2, and 2pi.

I am guessing 0 would remain the same. I just don't know how to use matrices on functions.

Does anyone understand my question?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There's obviously [itex]SO(n)[/itex] but that's matrices.

Doesn't Euler's formula do that same thing?

[itex]e^{i\theta} = cos\theta + isin\theta[/itex]

EDIT: Euler's formula is only for complex numbers.

Yes, but for functions. Is there no equivalence? I kinda had something like this for conics

Kevin_Axion said:
There's obviously [itex]SO(n)[/itex] but that's matrices.

Doesn't Euler's formula do that same thing?

[itex]e^{i\theta} = cos\theta + isin\theta[/itex]

EDIT: Euler's formula is only for complex numbers.

No real numbers please

Hhhmmm...if you have a set of points, I can see being rotated with a transformation matrix...but a function? If you have a function f(x) and you "rotate" it 90 degrees...chances are it will stop being a function!...at least, in the sense of the new fnew(x) = trans(forig(x))

1. What should I do if I forget a formula?

If you forget a formula, the first step is to try and recall any relevant information or clues that may help you remember it. You can also try to break down the problem into smaller parts and see if you can remember any related formulas. If all else fails, you can consult your textbooks or notes to find the formula.

2. How can I prevent myself from forgetting formulas?

One way to prevent forgetting formulas is to practice regularly and consistently. This will help reinforce the formulas in your memory. You can also create flashcards or write down the formulas in a notebook to review them regularly. Additionally, understanding the concept behind a formula can make it easier to remember.

3. Is it okay to use a calculator or reference materials to find a formula?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to use a calculator or reference materials to find a formula. In fact, many scientists and mathematicians use calculators and reference materials in their work. Just make sure to properly cite any sources you use.

4. What if I can't find the formula I need?

If you are unable to find the exact formula you need, you can try to manipulate or adapt a similar formula to fit your problem. You can also consult with other scientists or experts in the field for assistance. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums where you can ask for help in finding a specific formula.

5. Will forgetting a formula affect my ability to solve problems?

Forgetting a formula may make solving problems more challenging, but it does not necessarily mean you cannot solve them. As long as you have a basic understanding of the concept and problem-solving skills, you can find alternative ways to solve a problem even if you can't remember the exact formula. It is important to regularly review and practice formulas to improve your problem-solving abilities.