1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I forgot what the formula for this is.

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    If I give you a function f(x) (cartesian) and I ask you to rotate it about the x axis (counterclockwise) by an angle phi, what is the new function formula?

I remember I did this with matrices, but I can't remember the one for functions. For convenience, let angle phi be 0, pi/2, 3pi/2, and 2pi.

I am guessing 0 would remain the same. I just don't know how to use matrices on functions.

Does anyone understand my question?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2
  4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    There's obviously [itex]SO(n)[/itex] but that's matrices.

Doesn't Euler's formula do that same thing?

[itex]e^{i\theta} = cos\theta + isin\theta[/itex]

EDIT: Euler's formula is only for complex numbers.

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4
    Yes, but for functions. Is there no equivalence? I kinda had something like this for conics

6. Nov 12, 2011 #5
    No real numbers please

7. Nov 12, 2011 #6
    Hhhmmm...if you have a set of points, I can see being rotated with a transformation matrix...but a function? If you have a function f(x) and you "rotate" it 90 degrees...chances are it will stop being a function!...at least, in the sense of the new fnew(x) = trans(forig(x))

8. Nov 13, 2011 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook