I got a d+ in my chem class, am I eternally screwed?

• Thread starter ja sam glup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Class
In summary, the conversation discusses a freshman's struggle with a difficult chemistry class and the potential impact on their transcript and future academic plans. The student is considering retaking the class, but is unsure if it is necessary or if they would do well if they did retake it. They also mention their strong performance in other courses and potential considerations for graduate school.
ja sam glup
I'm a freshman currently, and I just blatantly overestimated the difficulty of this class, and I didn't really treat it seriously. The teacher put intentionally tricky questions on the exams and I ended up failing them, and I'm feeling pretty bad about the whole situation.

I intend to go into EE, so I actually have the chem credit I need from high school for this, but nevertheless a D+ still looks horrible on the transcript. My cumulative first semester gpa is a 3.33 right now, and I did get an A in calc 3 as well as hnrs phys1 with lab.

My question is, should I retake the class? If I get a 4.0 for the spring semester, and get A's in differential equations and physics 2 + lab, will that make up for it? To note, I just really dislike chemistry (it seems like mostly memmorization to me, but that may just be because I didn't put in the effort I really should have for the class) and so I only really want to retake it if absolutely necessary. My university's policy allows for the grade that I earn the second time taking it to be placed next to the older one on the transcript. The older grade can not be erased.

Any input would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as D+s don't become a habit it should be fine. Can you re-take the class any time? If you get one retake for your 4 years I'd probably save it for something that mattered a little more.

You can never be "eternally screwed", regardless of what happens. If it could be any other way, it would be, and as such, what has happened, has occurred in what's probably the only way possible for it to happen.

If you're someone getting A's in courses more difficult than the chem class(such as in calc 3), I really doubt you'll run into any serious issues in the future so just keep your chin up: retake the class, and do as well as you can in your other classes. Graduate schools probably wouldn't care if you get a D in some chemistry course you took freshman year if you do well in your upper division courses(which are generally weighed much more heavily when admissions are considered).

I don't think it's necessary to retake it because 1) chem isn't your major 2) freshman year grades are usually considered less important than junior/senior year grades by grad schools and potential employers 3) you've gotten good grades in much harder classes like diff eqs and physics 2. 4) Re-taking a class can really screw up your class schedule.

Also, you sound like you really hate chem, so if you did retake it, are you sure you would get a good grade the 2nd time around? If you re-took it and got, say, a C, that wouldn't really work in your favor. Only consider re-taking it if you are *absolutely sure* that you could get an A or B in it.

I understand the disappointment and frustration that comes with receiving a lower grade than expected in a class. However, I want to remind you that a single grade does not define your academic abilities or your potential for success in your chosen field of EE. It is important to reflect on the reasons for your lower grade and learn from this experience to improve in the future.

Firstly, it is important to recognize that chemistry is a fundamental subject in many fields of science and engineering. While it may not be your favorite subject, it is important to have a solid understanding of its principles and concepts. It is possible that you underestimated the difficulty of the class and did not give it the attention it deserved. Moving forward, it is important to approach all classes with the same level of seriousness and effort.

Regarding retaking the class, it ultimately depends on your personal goals and the policies of your university. Retaking the class and improving your grade can demonstrate your determination and dedication to your studies. However, if you feel confident in your understanding of the material and do not want to retake the class, focus on excelling in your upcoming courses and demonstrating your strengths in those subjects.

In terms of your GPA, it is important to remember that it is calculated over multiple semesters and not just one class. While a lower grade may have a temporary impact on your GPA, it is possible to improve it through strong performance in future courses. It is also important to note that employers and graduate schools often look at the overall trend of your grades and not just one individual class.

In conclusion, a D+ in your chemistry class does not mean you are eternally screwed. It is important to learn from this experience, reflect on your study habits and approach to the class, and use it as motivation to improve in the future. With hard work and dedication, you can still achieve your goals in EE and have a successful academic career.

1. Will getting a D+ in my chemistry class ruin my chances of pursuing a career in science?

No, receiving a D+ in your chemistry class does not automatically disqualify you from pursuing a career in science. While it may make it more challenging to get into certain programs or schools, it is not the sole determining factor in your future success.

2. Can I retake the class to improve my grade?

Yes, most schools allow students to retake classes if they receive a low grade. This can be a great opportunity to improve your understanding of the subject and potentially raise your grade.

3. Is it possible to still get a passing grade with a D+?

It depends on the grading scale and policies of your school. Some schools may consider a D+ to be a passing grade, while others may require a C- or higher. It is important to check with your professor or academic advisor to understand your school's policies.

4. Should I drop the class if I am struggling and may end up with a D+?

It is ultimately up to you and your academic advisor to decide if dropping the class is the best option. Dropping the class may impact your academic progress or financial aid, so it is important to consider all factors before making a decision.

5. Will a D+ affect my GPA?

Yes, a D+ will typically affect your GPA. However, the impact will depend on the weight of the class and your overall GPA. It is important to speak with your academic advisor to understand how a D+ may impact your specific situation.