I have a cumbersome problem with Vector calculus

In summary, vanhees71 suggests using the bac-cab rule to solve problems in calculus. The rule states that if two indices are equal, their product is zero. This is reflected in the index calculus equation \delta_{ij}=0. The second term on vanhees71's problem list, i.e., [(\vec{a} \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \vec{b}]_j=\epsilon_{klm} a_l \partial_m \epsilon_{jkn} b_n=-\epsilon_{klm} \epsilon_{kjn} a_l \partial_m b_n,
fdbjruitoirew
I am unfamiliar with Vector calculus, a tool for learning Physics
I select a homework I did not solve yet, then hope a help from you guys, in attachment pdf file

My attempt: I tried to use BAC-CAB rule, but the key hardness of mine is I still do not know the concepts clearly (as you know a physics-majored student could not have a lot of time to study Math)

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• PSET_FORUM.pdf
    23.3 KB · Views: 248
Physics news on Phys.org
I always found the calculus using the nabla symbol a bit cumbersome and "unsafe". For such calculations I prefer the Ricci-index formalism. For the curl of a vector field you write in components
[tex](\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V})_j=\epsilon_{jkl} \partial_k V_l,[/tex]
where [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] is the fully antisymmetric 3rd-rank tensor with [itex]\epsilon_{123}=1[/itex], also known as the Levi-Civita symbol.

In the index calculus the bac-cab rule is reflected in the following identity for the Levi-Civita symbol,
[tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ilm}=\delta_{jl} \delta_{km} - \delta_{jm} \delta_{kl},[/tex]
where we used the Einstein summation convention, i.e., one always has to sum over repeated indices. Further
[tex]\delta_{ij}=\begin{cases}
1 & \text{if} \quad i=j,\\0& \text{if} \quad i \neq j.
\end{cases}
[/tex]

I don't know, what's to "calculate" much with your first expression, but in index calculus it's simply
[tex][(\vec{a} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \vec{b}]_j=a_i \partial_i b_j.[/tex]
Here, [itex]\partial_i=\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}[/itex].

The second term on your problem list is
[tex][(\vec{a} \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \vec{b}]_j=\epsilon_{klm} a_l \partial_m \epsilon_{jkn} b_n=-\epsilon_{klm} \epsilon_{kjn} a_l \partial_m b_n = -(\delta_{lj} \delta_{mn} - \delta_{ln} \delta_{mj}) a_l \partial_m b_n.[/tex]
Now you only have to evaluate this a bit further and translate back into the nabla-operator notation.

Likes 1 person
Thanks
I still prefer a direct method than using quite complicated calculation, then find out a meaning behind an expression. Maybe later I would do it smoothly but now I am just newbie with Vector calculus.

fdbjruitoirew said:
I am unfamiliar with Vector calculus, a tool for learning Physics
I select a homework I did not solve yet, then hope a help from you guys, in attachment pdf file

My attempt: I tried to use BAC-CAB rule, but the key hardness of mine is I still do not know the concepts clearly (as you know a physics-majored student could not have a lot of time to study Math)
What do you mean a physics major doesn't have a lot of time to study math? Mathematical techniques are a big part of what you're supposed to be learning!

vanhees71's suggestion is actually the most straightforward and least complicated way to do those calculations. It's definitely worth spending a little effort to learn how to use index notation and the Levi-Civita symbol.

Nevertheless, you can definitely do the problem by writing it all out, component by component. Show us what you've done. Don't just describe what you did in general terms. That's pretty useless. Show us your actual work so we can see where you're getting stuck.

vanhees71 said:
I always found the calculus using the nabla symbol a bit cumbersome and "unsafe". For such calculations I prefer the Ricci-index formalism. For the curl of a vector field you write in components
[tex](\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{V})_j=\epsilon_{jkl} \partial_k V_l,[/tex]
where [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] is the fully antisymmetric 3rd-rank tensor with [itex]\epsilon_{123}=1[/itex], also known as the Levi-Civita symbol.

In the index calculus the bac-cab rule is reflected in the following identity for the Levi-Civita symbol,
[tex]\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{ilm}=\delta_{jl} \delta_{km} - \delta_{jm} \delta_{kl},[/tex]
where we used the Einstein summation convention, i.e., one always has to sum over repeated indices. Further
[tex]\delta_{ij}=\begin{cases}
1 & \text{if} \quad i=j,\\0& \text{if} \quad i \neq j.
\end{cases}
[/tex]

I don't know, what's to "calculate" much with your first expression, but in index calculus it's simply
[tex][(\vec{a} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \vec{b}]_j=a_i \partial_i b_j.[/tex]
Here, [itex]\partial_i=\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}[/itex].

The second term on your problem list is
[tex][(\vec{a} \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \vec{b}]_j=\epsilon_{klm} a_l \partial_m \epsilon_{jkn} b_n=-\epsilon_{klm} \epsilon_{kjn} a_l \partial_m b_n = -(\delta_{lj} \delta_{mn} - \delta_{ln} \delta_{mj}) a_l \partial_m b_n.[/tex]
Now you only have to evaluate this a bit further and translate back into the nabla-operator notation.

Hi. I'll be curious. I've started a course on continuum mechanics, and we are using this notation for tensor calculus. Can you give a demonstration for these formulas you've posted? or tell me where to find'em?

Thanks.

The formula is pretty easy to justify. Take the first term in the sum, i.e.,
[tex]\epsilon_{1jk} \epsilon_{1lm}.[/tex]
Obviously this can only be different from 0 if [itex]j,k \in \{2,3\}[/itex] and at the same time [itex]l,m \in \{2,3 \}[/itex]. Thus you either have
[tex]j=l \quad \text{and} \quad k=m[/tex]
or
[tex]j=m \quad \text{and} \quad k=l.[/tex]
In the first case the two [itex]epsilon[/itex] symbols are both [itex]+1[/itex] or both [itex]-1[/itex], and their product thus always [itex]1[/itex]. This gives you
[tex]\delta_{jl} \delta_{km}[/tex]
In the other case you get
[tex]-\delta_{jm} \delta_{kl}.[/tex]
This same argument works of course for the other two values of the summation index [itex]i=2[/itex] and [itex]i=3[/itex], and this proves the formulat.

Likes 1 person

1. What is Vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector-valued functions and their derivatives. It involves the study of vector fields, line integrals, surface integrals, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operators.

2. What are some applications of Vector calculus?

Vector calculus has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, it is used to model fluid flow, electromagnetism, and motion in 3D space.

3. What are the basic operations in Vector calculus?

The basic operations in Vector calculus include vector addition, scalar multiplication, dot product, cross product, and differentiation and integration of vector-valued functions.

4. What are some common problems encountered in Vector calculus?

Some common problems encountered in Vector calculus include finding the gradient, divergence and curl of a vector field, evaluating line and surface integrals, and solving differential equations involving vector-valued functions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Vector calculus?

To improve your understanding of Vector calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and work through examples. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and attending lectures or workshops can also help enhance your understanding.