I have been out of school for years, can I still pick up where I left off ?

In summary: As for what to do with your engineering degree, that is something you will have to figure out on your own.
dmfernandez87
I left school in the middle of transferring from my junior college to a four year to join the Marine Corps in 2007. I had acceptance letters to multiple schools (UCSC,UCI,UCSD,UCSB) but I opted to do combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan instead. As of right now, I feel like I've really screwed myself over in the long term, now that I'm out of the Marines and dying to jump back into school.

Before I left, I had completed mostly general ed courses as well as completing general chem, Calc 2, and the first installment of physics for scientists and engineers. My questions for guidance are:
Will I be able to "survive" the future engineering courses if I continue where I left off with a very fuzzy memory of the courses I did in the past?
How heavily do the upper division courses rely on recalling detailed information from previous courses?
Am i better off starting all over again from the beginning to make sure I get a strong grasp of the basics again (i.e. Calculus)?

As of right now I'm going back to my Junior College for the fall and (If I choose) the schools I've applied for are willing to honor my old acceptance letters and accept me in the Spring.

I originally applied to all these schools as a Bioengineering Major but as of right now I'm just not sure what I want to do in engineering anymore. I've been so out of focus in regards to school and so focused on being a good Marine that I'm so lost as this is all hitting me all at once. I want to combine my love of the ocean, marine biology, principle of engineering, and mechanics.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dmfernandez87 said:
]Will I be able to "survive" the future engineering courses if I continue where I left off with a very fuzzy memory of the courses I did in the past?

No. Everything builds on that foundation, and if the foundation is shaky, you won't be able to build on it effectively.

All of the schools you got into are very good. Your competition will be significant, but you have the advantages of maturity, perspective, and experience. If you back up a bit and solidify the basics, you'll enter with school skills and confidence as well.

If you retake your calc courses and physics courses then you should be in a good position to be successful.

You might not even have to retake the courses formally. Open up a textbook and start working through some things, if it comes back easily then it might be more efficient to just refresh it yourself. I use calculus all the time in my engineering classes. The material learned in the intro physics courses is mostly retaught anyway (in different ways) but those courses are good for teaching you problem solving which you've probably lost the intuition for.

I would suggest just taking them over again. I went back to school after 6 years off. It's definitely not easy. You forget a lot of material you've previously learned and forget what it is like to have to do homework and classwork all over again. On the other hand I got much better at doing lab work over that period of time.

I was in similar position as you. Do not retake anything! It's a waste of time and money. Going to class is the most inefficient way of learning a subject. Instead, get a textbook or two and go to iTunesU or OCW Courseware to watch Calculus and other courses from MIT, etc. They have problem sets, old exams and everything there. If you run into difficulties, post here in the HW section. There are many knowledgeable people on this forum. That will give you a solid background if you work thoroughly.

1. Can I still pursue a career in the field of science after being out of school for years?

Yes, it is possible to pick up where you left off in the field of science even after being out of school for years. While it may require some extra effort to catch up on new developments and techniques, your previous education and experience can still be valuable assets.

2. Will I need to relearn everything I previously studied in order to continue my education in science?

No, you will not have to start from scratch. While some review may be necessary, your previous knowledge and skills will likely still be applicable in your pursuit of a career in science.

3. Are there any resources available to help me refresh my knowledge and skills after being out of school for years?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you catch up and stay current in the field of science. You can attend workshops, conferences, and online courses, as well as read scientific journals and books to stay updated on new developments.

4. Will my age hinder my ability to succeed in the field of science after being out of school for years?

No, your age should not be a hindrance in pursuing a career in science. In fact, your life experience and maturity can be valuable assets in this field.

5. Is it too late to continue my education and career in science after being out of school for years?

No, it is never too late to continue your education and pursue a career in science. Many successful scientists have made significant contributions to their fields later in life.