I have difficulty understanding quantum physics

In summary, the article was good but I'm only 15 and didn't get the maths so I understood even less than usual.And that is why your original question cannot be answered until you have the mastery of more advanced mathematics that one typically gets in college. At this stage, you are capable of only seeing the shadow of the animal, not the animal itself.
Aichuk
Like I was reading Stephen Hawking and while I found quantum physics interesting, I had trouble truly understand it. I mean I know it's the study of very small particles and stuff like you cannot predict where an electron is if the more you know its velocity but I had trouble understand the why of it?

How can I make it intuitive?

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be Heisenbergs uncertainty principle that one can derive from the cauchy schwarz inequality. In addition quantum mechanics says that as long as the observables do not comute you can't measure the eigenvectors simultaneusly.

(<A>^2<B>^2) > <[A,B]>*1/2
or
(<A>^2<B>^2) = <[A,B]>*1/2

where [X,P]=-ih/2pi

just substitute that into the top equation and you get Heisenbergs uncertainty priciple

I'm not talking about the Uncertainty Principle. I'm just talking about the entire branch in general :/

Sorry. QFT is not really intuitiv for example the hole stuff on entaglement of two spin systems. I would actually recommend you learn QFT first and then classical physics. If you need an Intro to quantum mechanics I would recommend Susskind , he covers the basics of harmonic oscillaotrs spina and the hole uncertanty. I don't quite understand what you mean but mabe this helped?

Aichuk said:
Like I was reading Stephen Hawking and while I found quantum physics interesting, I had trouble truly understand it. I mean I know it's the study of very small particles and stuff like you cannot predict where an electron is if the more you know its velocity but I had trouble understand the why of it?

You might want to read this for my take on why you may not be equipped to "understand" QM

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-is-quantum-mechanics-so-difficult.765713/

Zz.

Good luck, even Einstein needed it!

moriheru said:
I would actually recommend you learn QFT first and then classical physics.
That does not work. And the hard part about understanding quantum mechanics is not the physics of classical mechanics, it is our lack of intuition about quantum mechanics.

Likes bhobba
How would one develope a classical intuition if one learned QFT first?

The article was good but I'm only 15 and didn't get the maths so I understood even less than usual.

Aichuk said:
The article was good but I'm only 15 and didn't get the maths so I understood even less than usual.

And that is why your original question cannot be answered until you have the mastery of more advanced mathematics that one typically gets in college. At this stage, you are capable of only seeing the shadow of the animal, not the animal itself.

Please consider using the Reply function for a particular post. It is difficult to figure out whom you are referring/replying to.

Zz.

Last edited:
Darn.

moriheru said:
How would one develope a classical intuition if one learned QFT first?
By living in a macroscopic world. Even small children have the intuition I mean - objects have a specific place, speed, they do not vanish suddenly and so on. All those everyday experiences are not true in quantum mechanics, and that makes learning it hard.

QFT has a lot of mathematics in addition - and you better learn that before (together with classical mechanics, and then quantum mechanics), otherwise you are completely lost in QFT.

Aichuk said:

You're in good company. Einstein had trouble understanding it too! Well, actually, he understood it, but he didn't like what he understood :)

Last edited:

Related to I have difficulty understanding quantum physics

1. Why is quantum physics so difficult to understand?

Quantum physics deals with the behavior of particles at a subatomic level, which is very different from the laws that govern our everyday world. The concepts and principles of quantum physics are often counterintuitive and go against our everyday experiences, making it difficult for us to fully comprehend.

2. Can anyone understand quantum physics?

While quantum physics may seem daunting, anyone with a strong foundation in mathematics and a willingness to learn can understand its basic principles. However, fully grasping the intricacies of quantum physics may require years of study and research.

3. Why is quantum physics important?

Quantum physics is crucial to our understanding of the fundamental workings of the universe. It has led to breakthroughs in technology, such as transistors and lasers, and has also played a significant role in fields such as medicine, chemistry, and engineering.

4. Is there a simple explanation for quantum physics?

While there is no simple explanation for quantum physics, there are ways to understand its basic principles without getting into complex mathematical equations. Analogies and thought experiments have been used to explain certain concepts in quantum physics, but they may not always accurately describe the phenomena.

5. Can quantum physics be proven?

Quantum physics has been extensively tested and has consistently been shown to accurately predict the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. However, some aspects of quantum physics, such as the interpretation of the results, are still a subject of debate among scientists.